No Pain, No Gain

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
What with all the chatter on the telly today about the Scott Peterson sentencing provoking discussions of the merit of capital punishment. Someone of CNN said the death penalty is still valid as a deterent but was counter withed "it can't be much of a deterent because it didn't stop Scott from commiting his act(s) of murder. So anyway, I got to thinking maybe the death penality is not working so good as a deterent because well you know, it has become so civilized recently with just an IV running in the perps arm in a quiet room all strapped down and cozy like and he just, you know, sorta drifts off to slumberland. Well maybe it's time to re-instate some pain and suffering with public purvue and get this show on the road. Bet we would see some "deterence" if we did that. So, anyway, I got the idea that sunday afternoons during NFL half-times we did some crucifixions. But then the lady Diane says to me what we really need are dis-embowelments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 973 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:02 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:23 pm
Yeah, well one of the debaters on, I think, Crossfire, felt that there needed to be more pain; there needed to be a longer, more painful death for the person on death row as he is killed for his crime.

How about the gallows? Should this become a family values debate, with the entire family watching as they did in the 19th century? Hmmm.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:36 pm
ON CNN-Crossfire today Jack Burkman, atty and republican strategist "BURKMAN: Here's the reason people don't think -- well, this is one case. You have to look at the broad spectrum of society. If the reason the death penalty is not the deterrent it could be, it's because, A, it's not visible when it's done, and, B, it's not painful. It's just..."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:42 pm
Mmmmhmm, maybe cutting off some body parts
and a slow bleeding death?

I understand that after the guillotine came down there were supposed to be about 15 seconds of awareness in the severed head. That might work. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 08:43 pm
What a day, what a day
For an auto-da-fй!
What a sunny summer sky!
What a day, what a day
For an auto-da-fй!
It's a lovely day for drinking
And for watching people fry!
Hurry, hurry, hurry,
Watch'em die!
Hurry, hurry, hurry,
Hang 'em high!

(From "Candide")
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:08 pm
There are at least two kinds of murderers.

The first sort never thinks about the death penalty because he inhabits a limited world.

The second sort assumes that he will never be caught because he inhabits a limited world.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
Boomerang, LOL. Maybe at the next Republican Convention a few beheadings or quarterings could serve as entertainment. I do have to admit that, when I was a kid, I knew a couple of Dems who would have been in favor of more painful deaths for criminals. Ugh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
I think guillotines would be just the thing, providing satisfying visual effects which could possibly be video'd from many angles.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:23 pm
slo-mo
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:28 pm
with rusty blades..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
Some of us could bring our knitting..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:30 pm
The execution of Damien
They slit his arms and legs open and poured boiling oil in. They tied him to four horses, but the horses could not pull him apart until they sawed through his joints somewhat. In the end he hung, a bloody torso, staring at the crucifix held up by the father confessor ...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
Don't forget the DVD recordings--just the old ballad sheets updated a bit.
0 Replies