should I get my ex a graduation present?

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
HI everybody! My ex of 3 years is graduating from college on Saturday. We are still friends and just broke up 2 months ago. Should I get him anything? I'm not going to the gradution though. I was thinking about maybe a card and a gift card to rent movies or something? Anyone have any other suggestions or should I not get him anything at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,502 • Replies: 14
No top replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
If the relationship ended without acrimony. To prevent confusion as to your intent i.e. it's just a friendly gesture and recognition of accomplishment. If you do it and feel good about it, you did right.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
The card's OK. It acknowledges the person as an achiever. Presents are iffy, as they have a reciprocal thing built in.

Put it this way, were you planning to get them a xmas present?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:37 pm
Yeah.. I think the card is a good idea... Cards are always a good idea.

The present.. hmmm.. I wouldn't.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:37 pm
Is your ex part of your past--or part of your present?

Do you still have strong romantic feelings for him? Do thoughts of a future together haunt your mind?

If so, no.

If your feelings are friendly, give him a card from a friend.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:06 am
I agree about the card. A gift might be perceived as having "strings" on it!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:02 am
I like the card idea, but not really the present idea, for the reasons that others have already stated.. I'm going to be so bold here to go one step further and suggest you don't sign the card using the word "love" at all either, even if you do feel that way. Keep it light. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:11 am
Hmm.. im jumping on the same bandwagon.
Card is actually a nice gesture. Im sure that during the 3 years you were together you have helped him work twords his graduation so why not let him know that you are happy for him in his success? 3 years worth of time isnt something you should just trash. If you two are really going to remain ' friends' then it is the friendly thing to do to acknowledge the others accomplishemnts.
Gifts.... save that for an intimate relationship. He will be getting gifts from family members at this time. You dont need to add to that. A simple card with an acknowledgement will work wonders.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:23 am
I think it is ok and best to completely forget your ex. Don't bother with a card and certainly not a present. If/when you see him, offer your congratulations.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
buy him a card.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:18 pm
Kristie wrote:
buy him a card.

......and stalk them.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Kristie wrote:
buy him a card.

......and stalk them.

Very Happy You's silly! Very Happy
0 Replies

kellybelle

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:16 am
yeah! Stalking is fun!! Laughing
0 Replies

kellybelle

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:45 am
Yup, a card will do. He really wants me to go to the graduation, but I say no way! I didn't tell him that, I just said maybe, but I definately think that would be a no no.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
A card is a nice thing.

Letting him know you won't be attending the graduation is the 'proper' thing to do, but 'proper' isn't always comfortable.
0 Replies