Safety and Toddlers

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
At what age is it safe to have a young child sleep with a pillow and blanket? My 2 year old likes to sleep with both. During the day, my mom allows her to sleep with both during nap times. I don't have an issue with that as she is sleeping in the livingroom and is frequently checked on. However, at night, I am afraid to allow her to sleep with a pillow. I recently, since it has been getting colder, given her blankets at night and she has no problems. Is it o-k to give her a pillow yet? My older daughter I did not give a pillow until she was no longer using a crib at age 3.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 6
No top replies

BBK

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:35 am
why would it be a problem to let your 2 year old sleep with a pillow ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:39 am
Suffocation.

I think I started when she was about 2.5. (She still often sleeps right on the mattress, though.)

Quote:
Question: Should my child use a pillow, and if so, when?

Answer: Though they're often sold with crib bedding sets, pillows are not recommended for children under 2 years of age, as children that small can easily suffocate while using one. And frankly, older children don't need pillows either.

But if you want to give your child a pillow while he's still sleeping in a crib, give him a small one (the size of an airline pillow). However, it's best to wait until your child is moving from a crib to a bed before introducing a pillow.

Your child's first pillow should be firm. A feather pillow is not recommended because it's too soft and can smother a child if his head sinks into it while he's sleeping. Use your own judgment and give him a pillow when you're both ready.

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/toddler/toddlersleep/7533.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
I'm no expert and I know the baby rules say no pillows, but my feeling is that once they are strong enough to pick up their head and roll over they should be able to keep from suffocating.

Our kids slept with us most of the time from baby to about 2.5, so I guess I didn't worry about our pillows because I was close enough to check them periodically without getting out of bed. Still, I did wake often to check them so I must have been aware of the risk. I say as long as the pillow is firm it should be fine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:51 am
Well I guess my initial instinct was correct - to wait until she moves to a bed. I am rather paranoid when it comes to safety.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:52 am
Us too, FreeDuck! Her favorite pillow was my arm...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:01 am
Laughing My almost three year old still prefers my arm to any pillow.
0 Replies