what's the meaning of "for ten points" in the sentence?

yellhue

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 06:51 pm
Private, for ten points, what's the one thing no enlisted man should ever do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 780 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:12 pm
@yellhue,
The question is addressed to a private in the (US) Army. He's jokingly being treated as a contestant on a game show, and the answer should be obvious to a private in the Army.
yellhue

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:19 pm
@roger,
Thank you very much. By the way, do you have any idea about the song "kiss me goodnight sergeant major"? Is it an American song, or a British one?
layman

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 07:39 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

The question is addressed to a private in the (US) Army. He's jokingly being treated as a contestant on a game show, and the answer should be obvious to a private in the Army.

Exactly, Rog. And what you're implying, without saying directly, is that it's ONLY 10 points.

The way these game shows usually work, the "ten-point" questions would be the easiest ones. The more difficult questions might be worth 20 points, 50 points, 100 points, etc. The more difficult the question posed is deemed to be, the more points you are awarded for getting the correct answer. Maybe Yellhue already knows all that, I dunno.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:21 pm
@layman,
I don't think she knew the game show context. Not everybody watches the stupid things.
layman

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 08:37 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't think she knew the game show context. Not everybody watches the stupid things.

I don't either, but I get the idea of how they work from SNL skits like this:

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:07 pm
@yellhue,
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/1940s-top-songs/kiss-me-goodnight,-sergeant-major.htm

Quote:
Songs that helped England through WW2, the battle of Britain and the London Blitz,
centrox

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 11:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/1940s-top-songs/kiss-me-goodnight,-sergeant-major.htm
Quote:
Songs that helped England through WW2, the battle of Britain and the London Blitz,

How did Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland manage, I wonder? And are WW2, the Battle of Britain, and the Blitz separate things?

When I was 10 my uncle taught me an obscene version (what he called the "real version") of "The Long and the Short and the Tall". He said "Don't sing it to your mother".

0 Replies