Why the Dems Lost Ohio

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
Okay, We Lost Ohio. The Question Is, Why?

By Steve Rosenthal
Sunday, December 5, 2004; Page B03

When it came to getting out the Democratic vote in Ohio during the presidential election, we hit our target numbers. My organization, America Coming Together, along with our 32 America Votes partner organizations, the Democratic National Committee and the Kerry-Edwards campaign not only exceeded our turnout goals for the Buckeye State, but far exceeded anything the Democrats have done in the past.

And we still lost. President Bush won the election by fewer than 130,000 votes out of 5.6 million cast in Ohio, according to the state's latest figures. We added 554,000 votes to our totals, but the Republicans countered with 508,000, enough to keep the state in their column.

Since then my colleagues and I have gone back to answer a nagging question: Who were all those Bush voters? Though much has been made of the Republican grass-roots effort in Ohio and elsewhere, we did not see the sort of Republican organization that seems necessary to produce that many new votes. Where did they come from?

We've done a post-election poll of 1,400 rural and exurban voters in Ohio counties that Bush won by an average of 17 percentage points. Their answers, and a closer look at other poll data, explode a few widely held theories about what happened.

The first myth: Many more churchgoing voters flocked to the polls this year, driven by the Bush "moral values" and the gay marriage referendum.

Reality: The 2004 election brought no increase whatsoever in the portion of the voting electorate who attend church on a weekly basis or more often than that, according to exit polls. In Ohio, the share of the electorate represented by frequent churchgoers actually declined from 45 percent in 2000 to 40 percent in 2004. Nationwide, Bush improved his vote among weekly churchgoers by just one point over 2000, while increasing his support among those who don't go to church by four points.

So how could religious voters have been the basis of Bush's victory, at least in Ohio? Answer: They weren't.

Second myth: The Bush campaign won by mobilizing GOP strongholds and suppressing turnout in Democratic areas.

Reality: Turnout in Democratic-leaning counties in Ohio was up 8.7 percent while turnout in Republican-leaning counties was up slightly less, at 6.3 percent. John Kerry bested Bush in Cuyahoga County (home of Cleveland) by 218,000 votes -- an increase of 42,497 over Gore's 2000 effort. In Stark County (Canton) -- a bellwether lost by Gore -- Kerry won by 4,354.

Third myth: A wave of newly registered Republican voters in fast-growing rural and exurban areas carried Bush to victory.

Reality: Among Ohio's rural and exurban voters, Bush beat Kerry by just five points among newly registered voters and by a mere two points among infrequent voters (those who did not vote in 2000).

Fourth myth: Republicans ran a superior, volunteer-driven mobilization effort.

Reality: When we asked new voters in rural and exurban areas who contacted them during this campaign, we learned that they were just as likely to hear from the Kerry campaign and its allies as from the Bush side. (In contrast, regular voters reported more contact from the GOP.)

Then perhaps it was conservative religious groups or pro-life organizations or the National Rifle Association that reached these new Republican voters? No, according to our post-election polling; only 20 percent of exurban and rural Ohio voters reported that they had been contacted by someone from their church, and only slightly higher percentages were contacted by conservative organizations. In contrast, these same voters in the least unionized regions of Ohio were more likely to have been contacted by a labor union.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,079 • Replies: 28
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:09 pm
That's absolute nonsense. Clearly, Bush was 're-elected by Porsche drivers'
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:01 pm
Bush was reelected by people who didn't like the company Kerry was keeping:

http://putupon.smugmug.com/photos/12392914-S.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Liberals drive 3.2 carreras while Repubs drive euro-body turbos. A sigficant difference Timberland.....Dems, on the other hand probably drive 924's. (yes some of them still run, albeit slowly)
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:13 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Nope. It had to be these "secret signers". :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
Gotta love Ben Stein.

Hey Dyslexia - a 924 ain't a Porsche - its an Audi wearin' Porsche badges :wink:

Never could get my mind around a water-cooled, front engined Porsche - somehow just didn't seem right. Still - they're better than the 914s - those were VWs with delusions of grandure Laughing
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:33 am
If you want to know how George W. won in Ohio, I suggest you start by finding out "Why Johnny Can't Read".
The decline in literacy (which W. answered with "No Child Left Behind") seems, ironically, to be the key to W.'s success...

As long as people get their "news" from demagogues like Lush ("Gobble the narcotics") Blimpaw... the Nixonian Cabal behind W. has got their racket secured.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:34 am
You are absolutely right. It is the decline in literacy. That's why Bush got all those votes back in 2000 in Florida, because democratic voters were too stupid to punch the right chad out. So I think you really have a point Magus.

Funny though how we don't hear of republicans punching the wrong chads out and voting in error for a democrat, but yet y'all continue to insist on other threads that we are the uneducated and uninformed ones. Just an observation. Razz
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:44 am
CoastalRat wrote:
You are absolutely right. It is the decline in literacy. That's why Bush got all those votes back in 2000 in Florida, because democratic voters were too stupid to punch the right chad out. So I think you really have a point Magus.

Funny though how we don't hear of republicans punching the wrong chads out and voting in error for a democrat, but yet y'all continue to insist on other threads that we are the uneducated and uninformed ones. Just an observation. Razz

Laughing
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
What you "hear of" or don't "hear of" often has a great deal to do with how attentively one listens.
I advise you to listen very carefully to the economic indicators... people often vote with their financial interests in mind.
When times are good and people are solvent, they can be distracted by lurid smear campaigns (shamelessly contrived "morality issues"). But when money gets tight, it's a different ballgame.
The current Admin is going to leave the USA with one whopper of a deficit on the federal level... and, judging from what I've been "hearing of", those deficits are "trickling down" (in torrents) to the State and Local levels.
"Y'all" are going to be somewhat dismayed when it comes time to pay the piper... the hubristic gloating seeds you sow today will be the bitter fruit you reap tomorrow.
"Y'all" best prepare for a diet of grapes, and keep in mind that there's a shortage of production capacity for "Splenda"... so they're liable to be a bit on the astringent side.
\ Rolling Eyes :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:10 am
Perhaps the Ohio voters heard Kerry's message loud and clear . . . and didn't like it. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:59 pm
so what was the final vote tally? I am sure it was indeed loud and clear.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
The latest certified tally from Ohio came in at 2.86 million votes (Approximately 51%) for Bush, the Republican, and 2.74 million votes (approx. 49%) for Kerry, the Democrat.

Almost a stalemate, by no means any kind of a Mandate.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:33 pm
My understanding is that they are not finished with the recounts yet.....
0 Replies

swarm21

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
yeah, i recently heard that it was closely that the media made it out to be.
its amazing that the majority could vote for the administration, that in some cases, is responsible for much of the states unemployment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:19 pm
It came out today or yesterday-- Bush by something like 130,000. I'll see if I can go get confirmation.

Coastal Rat-- You killed. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:22 pm
Officially certified: Bush wins Ohio

ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - This battleground state on Monday certified President Bush's 119,000-vote victory over John Kerry, even as the Kerry campaign and third-party candidates prepared to demand a statewide recount.

The president won Ohio with 2.86 million votes, or 51 percent, to Kerry's 2.74 million votes, or 49 percent.

The 118,775-vote lead was closer than the unofficial election night margin of 136,000, but not enough to trigger a mandatory recount. Absentee ballots and provisional votes counted after election night made most of the difference.

"This was an election where you have some glitches but none of these glitches were of a conspiratorial nature and none of them would overturn or change the election results," said Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican who, as the state's chief election official, certified the results.

The presidential election hung on Ohio, prized for its 20 electoral votes. Not until the morning after the election did Kerry finally concede - realizing there were not enough provisional ballots to erase Bush's lead....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:01 pm
Loud and clear just ain't what it used to be, but then at my age I don't hear so well.
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:12 pm
With all the irregularities and the Bush campaign controlling the voting, no one knows what the real count was. I have met a lot of people from Ohio and they are among the dumbest in the country but even they are not this stupid.
0 Replies

DimestoreDiva

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 07:13 pm
Of course, there was a terrorist alert of 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 in Ohio that night too. Something is rotten in Marion.
0 Replies