Friendly fire. Tillman's Final Minutes a Horror

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:16 am
Report: Tillman's Final Minutes a Horror

WASHINGTON (AP) - The last minutes of Pat Tillman's life were a horror of misdirected machine-gun fire and signals to firing colleagues that were misunderstood as hostile acts, according to an account published Sunday of the death of the NFL player-turned-soldier. It took the Army a month to change the record to show that Tillman, the Arizona Cardinals defensive back who gave up a $3.6 million contract to become an Army Ranger, was killed last April not by Afghan guerrillas but by his Ranger colleagues.

He will not be the first nor will he be the last to be killed in the heat of battle by friendly fire.
I question however, is it something that the public has a need to know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 922 • Replies: 14
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:26 pm
That is a good question, au1929, and I don't know the answer.

I certainly think his family has the right to know the circumstances of his death.

Whle its true that every soldier who dies by friendly fire makes the news, Tillman was certainly exceptional in what he gave up in order to serve.

Does the fact that he died by friendly fire change anyone's opinon of him?

To me it makes the whole story doubly tragic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
I feel incredibally sad for him and his family however, the only reason this is a big deal is because he was "pro-football hero" turned "war hero". What about all those daddies and mommies that are heros at home and then die in battle? I just hate the way the media works. Only the rich and famous are worthy of national tragedy coverage. They will keep covering this until the cows come home, long after they forget about the other dead who sacrificed just as much as he did.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:46 pm
I have been reading the Washington Post's articles on this ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35717-2004Dec4.html and http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37679-2004Dec5.html?nav=rss_nation ) which are fascinating - and very well written, I think.

I take the point about the import of his death being artificially elevated because of his fame - but I think it is good to have the realities of war and fighting revealed when the American media seem to be showing such laundered versions.

Reality, in this case, seeming to be a platoon split by a silly order made far from the situation, and a bunch of brave, well-trained young guys panicking in a very human way, in a terrifying situation.

And, the poor guy would doubtless have also suffered terribly if the people shooting at his group HAD been the opposing forces. This is the nature of killing folk, as far as I can see.

The fact that he - and his Afghani fellow soldier - died knowing it was their own people who were not able to take in the signals that these were their buddies doubtless added a special horror and futility - not least for the poor bastards who did the shooting - but isn't mortal fear, and being torn apart by bullets, pretty much the same whoever is doing it?

The cover-up attempted by the military is also, I believe, well within the public need-to-know sphere.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:37 pm
dlowan wrote
Quote:
The cover-up attempted by the military is also, I believe, well within the public need-to-know sphere.

I question why? These things happen more often than we would like. Sure the military should investigate in hope that they can help in avoiding future incidents of this type. However, what good does it do to make the public aware? Indeed what is their need to know?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
How many Americans know how frequent such cover-ups are?

Why would the military investigate if doubts had not been raised publicly?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
I think it should be made known as all the unecessary horrors of this mistake known as the "Iraq Liberation" should be made known...having said that, I don't think we have to know it in its minute detail...although as the New Rome....we do seem to enjoy the activities of the Coliseum......more's the pity...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:39 pm
Er - this was Afghanistan, Bear.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
you are of course correct and I feel foolish..not for the first or last time I assure you. Doesn't change my feelings tht the horror of wr should be brought to light though.......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
Oh, I agree.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
au

My response to this is why shouldn't the public know that this is how this man died? What should it be covered up? (And I hate the term, "friendly fire". There's no such thing!)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:34 pm
msolga wrote
Quote:

My response to this is why shouldn't the public know that this is how this man died? What should it be covered up? (And I hate the term, "friendly fire". There's no such thing!)

Again I would ask why, to what purpose. Isn't it sufficient to know he was killed in action.
I just fail to see the need. As to friendly fire I am sure you understand it's meaning.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
I guess I like to see a situation for what it really is, au. I abhor the way war is homogenized in the media for consumer consumption by cynical governments.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 09:09 am
I have to disagree with you Au, I think Americans have the right to know the how and why and by whom their sons were killed.

If you go down the road of "the people dont need to know" where does it stop?

The American government is the most secretive in the world, in 1963 JFK was removed from office in a military coup de'tat and your government has lied to you ever since.

On the 22nd November 1963 the US of A ceased to be a democracy and became a plutocracy.

The USA needs more openess not less. 2 Cents
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
Don1
I never mentioned why. In fact since before the invasion of Iraq I have been asking why. However, I believe it is enough to say that Tillman was killed in action, which he was. There is no need to publicize it was the result of friendly fire. It serves no purpose. And in fact any effect or impact it may have will all be negative.
0 Replies