fat free/ lite/ no added sugar foods ... UGH!

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
I used to buy fat-free yoghurt - yikes, or fat-free cookies
and ate the whole box of cookies and still wasn't satisfied,
besides it always had a horrible after taste.

Now I buy extra rich yoghurt, butter cookies and
eat a fraction of what I ate from the fat free stuff,
and I'm happy Wink

One of my neighbors bakes with vegetable shortening
(never real butter) and she goes through all that trouble
of baking beautiful looking cakes, yet they taste horribly
oily and non-descriptive.

@ Urs,
that's the only thing I miss around christmas time: all the
nice "Christkindl" markets and the smells of roasted chestnuts, and hot spiced cider, the Lebkuchen and all
the ambiance surrounding it. *sigh*
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 01:34 pm
CJ, today I was in the little town where I grew up. We had some 'Vierfruchtglühmost' and 'Schupfnudeln'. We are definitely Swabian!

Tomorrow I am taking the day off and we will go to Stuttgart. I will drink some Glühwein for you and eat some heiße Maroni!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
Has anyone noticed the supermarket sales? The bottom is dropping out of market for foods especially tailored for a "low carb" diet. Also, "normal" crackers are much cheaper than they were last year. I'm going to stock up.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:40 pm
Is that right, Noddy? Surprised Perhaps people are starting to give up on the idea & all that lite/98% fat free stuff will become a nostalgic memory, reminding folks of eccentric eating fads of the '90s & noughties?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:50 pm
Ever tried one of those dieters' dinner packs, bought from the supermarket? A friend of mine (whose dieting & so busy she doesn't know whether she's coming or going ..) has a freezer full of them! One night, when we were both too pooped to cook or even go out for a meal, I tried one. It was : curried Thai chicken & vegetables", on rice. Verdict? It tasted so odd, so strange, so bland to one whose familiar to what Thai food is supposed to taste like. The vegetables had the strangest texture & the flavouring! I'm certain there was soap in there! Shocked To make matters worse, after finishing it I was still hungry! Not a lot there!Laughing
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:16 pm
Msolga, that's why some people have trouble dieting…the food companies expect you to eat that stuff and loose weight? The portions are small and unsatisfying…so when you're done eating it, you are ready to splurge on a large piece of cake with some chocolate ice cream. Twisted Evil Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:21 pm
Say nothing of the actual "food", colorbook! Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:19 am
Well, I laugh as I see foods that normally have no fat being listed as FAT FREE - say, grissini, italian bread sticks. There are others, I'm just not remembering them right now. I think regular saltine crackers don't have fat, but don't have any on hand to check.

I agree there are things called sugar free that have, I think, fructose or maltose... and those are sugars.

I'm a little odd in that I don't like things all that supersweet anyway - think of it as a sugar cover for general lack of flavor.

I eat full fat mozzarella, full fat cream cheese, just less of them. But I actually like skim milk (and rum). Butter, of course. I haven't eaten margerine for twenty years, and have long avoided hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats - for at least fifteen years, maybe more.

(but don't let me see bags of crispy salty potato chips!)

Anyway, to summarize, I like real food. Thus the fresh veggie aisle and not the canned one... ('cept for tomatoes for the pantry).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:33 am
I couldn't agree more, osso! (Including the canned Italian tomatoes for the pasta sauce.)
0 Replies