fat free/ lite/ no added sugar foods ... UGH!

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:42 pm
Today I bought a "97% fat free" pat'e. I was curious: I rather like pat'e & wondered what a fat free variety would taste like. I didn't think such a product was possible Surprised Confused , but this being a reputable brand, I thought I'd do my bit to encourage healthier consumer products & try it.

The verdict?:
Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad
It tasted like crushed black peppers in glue! I like crushed black peppers, but ...
The texture was sort of a cross between Nutella & chocolate mousse. It sort of stuck together in a very determined fashion, the strangest texture ....
Oh yuck, yuck, yuck !.... I'm gonna have to throw this out! Something I almost never do ... (Mind you, I don't often buy such dubious products)

So, dear A2Kers, do you have any stories/cautionary tales to relate to others here about all these low everything, lite, 99% fat free products out there?

(PS ... How do you properly do the ' in pat'e on your computer? Confused )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,190 • Replies: 48
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
I don't know if your labeling has the same standards as ours, but read them. "No sugar added" definately does not mean low calorie. Neither does fat free, by the way. Actually, I've noticed that even sugar free foods can be higher in total carbohydrates than equivalant products that contain sugar, and carbs have 4 calories per gram whether it is pure sugar, or some other combination.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:56 pm
hmmmm.... fat free or even low fat cream cheese is wierd to me. So is reduce fat cheese. My theory is that you should eat fatty foods with all their god-given fat in small quantities - sort of a quality vs. quantity thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Oh, and I feel the same about sugar free foods (except for gum, which isn't really a food).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:02 am
Thanks roger, but I don't really worry about the "sugar free" varieties too much, not having much of a sweet tooth . The "fat free" interests me more, being more of a savoury person. I prefer to choose the fats that I indulge in, & in what quantities - mainly olive oil, with garlic, garlic. garlic ... & chili! Very Happy Twisted Evil I prepare most of my own meals from scratch. (Not being rich, ya know! Very Happy ) But pastes, cheeses, biscuits etc... & all those other things you don't prepare yourself can be a mine-field!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:05 am
So, how about olive tapenade? And, of course, vegemite?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:08 am
littlek wrote:
hmmmm.... fat free or even low fat cream cheese is wierd to me. So is reduce fat cheese. My theory is that you should eat fatty foods with all their god-given fat in small quantities - sort of a quality vs. quantity thing.

Yes! Enjoy the real thing in moderation!

But I was also wondering about some of the Fabulous Fat Free, Lite food experiemces available in the US & other places, Twisted Evil
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:12 am
Well, I like fat free yogurt, cottage cheese, and frozen yogurt. I guess I don't really know much about the fat free thing here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:13 am
littlek wrote:
So, how about olive tapenade? And, of course, vegemite?

Laughing

Actually, Vegemite is looking fantastic after my 97% fat free pat'e! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:16 am
Ha! I still absolutely love a fresh ripe avo half on toast spread with vegemite.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:22 am
Really!!!!! Surprised Very Happy
Where did you learn this trick, k? Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:24 am
well, I kind of learned it in Oz, and kind of made it up. We ate toast with butter and vegemite at home, in Oz. And we ate a breakie of baked beans over a croissant spread with vegemite and covered with eggs and avocado. I guess I simplified things.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:29 am
Exotic!!!!!! Laughing
Sounds like great fun!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:31 am
The meal is to be found at Raw Cafe in Byron Bay if anyone is interested. It's quite delightful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:33 am
Very Happy I'll keep that in mid for my next BB visit, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:34 am
I dunno if the cafe is still there (moondoggy'd know). But, I say it's definitely worth the visit. Now. How often do you get up to BB?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:41 am
Not often, k. Broke Melbourne girl right now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:45 am
mmm, well, I'll prolly never be back myself.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:46 am
Re: fat free/ lite/ no added sugar foods ... UGH!
msolga wrote:

(PS ... How do you properly do the ' in pat'e on your computer? Confused )

Paté or Patè? (I'm not sure which one is right)
You'd have to go through here...

Control Panel>
Regional and Language Options>
Languages Tab>
Details>
Settings>

I do switch from one language to another though. I don't think the English Language settings alone will do. You'll probably have to also select a language that does recognize such characters.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:49 am
Obviously French! But the rest of my post? Confused Laughing
0 Replies