fat free/ lite/ no added sugar foods ... UGH!

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
I'm still waiting for some truly ghastly "lo fat" reduced everything tales! The worst, the very worst products!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
Maybe A2Kers are far, far too sensible ...?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:14 am
I love soup. The creamier the better, sadly, one bowl of soup can sometimes be a nightmare, on the hips.... So one day while shopping at Costco, I saw a black bean soup-in-a-cup six pack combo. Low fat, all natural, healthy and tasty the lable said...
A styrofoam container of the bland soup had the consistancy of thick mud like lumpy, plaster of paris and a nasty after taste yet it failed to register on one single taste bud on first pass. I choked down a bite or two, gagged a left it on my desk.
An hour later, after lunch, I found it where I'd left it. My spoon was encased and after a brief struggle I managed to salvage it. The sludge and the remaining five cups found the garbage soon after.
Horrible stuff.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:38 am
Ceili

Now THAT was a soup! Shocked Laughing

Isn't it amazing how we normally sensible folk still occasionally get sucked in by stuff like:

" .. a black bean soup-in-a-cup six pack combo. Low fat, all natural, healthy and tasty the label said... "

Your soup went to the same place as my 97% fat free pat'e!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:17 am
I HATED fat-free cream cheese. Gloppy stuff didn't even taste like cream cheese. I can go the lite version, but definitely not the fat-free.

I once (note: "once") tried using a slice of fat-free American cheese in an omelet. As soon as it hit the hot egg mixture, it separated into water and cheese-colored-plastic-looking-stuff. Ye gods. Never again!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:31 am
What your question is describing is "products" or processed food. This is not real food and yes, much of it is of course horrible.

If you buy food which is not in a packet, can or box, and therfore has no writing on it, this will be a good start.

Then, you can make it however you want, with the right amount of fat, sugar, and salt.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
Fake food nourishes neither the body nor the spirit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:18 pm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:20 am
What useful advice. I am indebted to you.

I often write to German folks and this should tidy up my text a bit.

McT
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:41 am
Getting the accent thing right is a lot easier with a European computer.... I just type it because it is right there on my keyboard... paté - there!

McTag, I completely agree with you on food! Very well said!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:18 am
McTag wrote:
What your question is describing is "products" or processed food. This is not real food and yes, much of it is of course horrible.

If you buy food which is not in a packet, can or box, and therfore has no writing on it, this will be a good start.

Then, you can make it however you want, with the right amount of fat, sugar, and salt.

I mostly do, McTag. .... My concern is with products like spreads, yoghurts, etc. Imagine making Vegemite from scratch! Razz
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:01 am
msolga wrote:
Imagine making Vegemite from scratch! Razz

Yeah! Especially me! I don't even know what that is... ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:05 am
Hi urs! Very Happy

It's an Australian spread, for toast, savoury biscuits, etc. It sort of looks like tar, dark brown & gooey! Laughing You either love it or hate it, but addicted Oz travellors are known to yearn for it while overseas. Some take it with them! Margo has a vegemite thread here on A2K. I'll see if I can find it for you.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:07 am
Aha! Oh, I am now working for a second person in HR. He's Australian and will move to France in January. He could bring me some of this stuff. I will ask him!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:16 am
Here you are, urs. As you will see, responses to Vegemite vary a great deal! Laughing

VEGEMITE - making Aussies great for 80 years!
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vegemite&start=0
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:18 am
Some foods are just not meant to be made into reduced fat or sugar free products, and are only meant to be enjoyed in their original form. Sometimes high fat with 50 grams of sugar is the best way to obtain real taste pleasure from your favorite foods.

I think low fat cream cheese is the worst…do they expect people to eat it? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:18 am
urs53 wrote:
Aha! Oh, I am now working for a second person in HR. He's Australian and will move to France in January. He could bring me some of this stuff. I will ask him!

You might live to regret this, urs! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:23 am
colorbook wrote:
..I think low fat cream cheese is the worst…do they expect people to eat it? Evil or Very Mad

Yes! And you're expected to feel very virtuous as you do it, colorbook! Laughing
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:25 am
Well, that sounds promising, Olga!!!! I will have to read that thread later. Have to go the Christmas market now and drink hot spiced wine and eat all kinds of food with fat and sugar! Yeah!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:29 am
YEAH! Go for it, urs! Laughing
0 Replies