http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u276/yatzer/winter_wonderland.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:09 pm
wow that's so pretty, ehbeth!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:14 pm
Deligthtful thread! A refreshing treat here. My thanks to all and a Happy Christmas to everyone.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 10:26 pm
The same to you and your family, George. Don't be a stranger, we need you here Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 12:39 am
In today's Guardian
Infallible Christmas gifts: Pope's courier reveals secrets

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hwyt3.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:50 am
@georgeob1,
George (can we call you Georg for the purposes of this thread? Wink ), it's lovely to see you here.

I hope you have a series of wonderful celebrations over the season.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
ha! who knew that I'd have anything in common with the pope - but stollen and sausages - he's got good taste Very Happy
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 12:03 pm
@ehBeth,
The Pope cannot deny his Bavarian roots - stollen is just part of Christmas
for us and I have to have it too!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
"bratwurst mit blumenblueten" - don't tell me they are putting "flowers" in to the bratwurst ?
i guess marjoram would qualify as "blumenblueten" ?
we' buy the bratwurst being made by a mennonite butcher in st. jacob's - near kitchener .
hbg
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:27 pm
@hamburger,

Quote:
Cookie, Heather and Raylene Rankin perform "Taladh Chriosda" (The Christ-Child's Lullaby).

Performed in Gaelic, this traditional song tells of Christ's birth from the perspective of his mother, Mary.

An English translation is as follows:

"My darling, my love and treasure, you,
My new-found wealth and ecstasy, you,
My beautiful, handsome wee son, you,
I am unworthy to be in your presence.

My love the eye that gently sees,
My love the heart that's filled with affection,
Although you are a helpless child
Many virtues are growing in you."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 05:49 am
Quote:
And here we are, at the Holy Evening. That means the 24th of December. At this day, and only at this day the Christmas tree is brought into the house, mostly at the sitting/living room. In Germany there are no Christmas trees in the house before this date, although the plain trees are bought earlier and kept outside to keep it fresh. Then, when it is set up in the house, the door of the room is locked, so no children is allowed to go into it, cause now the Christkind is coming and with the help of its angel it is embellishing the tree and bringing the presents. Mostly the father is then collecting the children for a walk, while the mothers are embellishing the tree.

The traditional colours for Christmas and the Christmas time in Germany are green and red and gold, and so are the colours for the tree. It should have beeswax candles, red apples and bows, golden balls and nuts, straw stars and everything glimmering and shimmering. The apples are always smelling wonderful and so are the candles. When everything is done and the children/adults have waited impatiently enough, the Christkind is ringing a bell, a sign that it is leaving now and the family could come to see the beautiful tree. Everyone is proper dressed, the candles are burning, the electric light is switched off, the music is playing and the family is standing or sitting in front of the tree and singing. Then the big distribution of Christmas presents starts, mostly the whole family is together at this evening, I mean the parents, grandparents, children, and sometimes also aunts and uncles and cousins. The meal at this evening is simple, a lot of Germans are eating simple sausages with potatoe salad to keep the women away from spending too much time with cooking, and in a lot of families it is the only evening of the year where the TV stays switched off, it all about talking and laughing and playing games and reading Christmas stories. At about 10 pm the Christmette (Christmass) is starting, so a good opportunity to have a small walk with refreshing air, to move from the sofa to the church bench and although during the year the churches are empty, just a few people are going to church on sundays, at the Holy Evening the churches are crowded. I love it so much when at the end of the mass the lights were switched off, only the very big Christmas tree is illuminated, and the whole crowd is singing "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" (Silent Night, Holy Night). And when you are walking home again, and the sky is clear and you could see the stars, then it´s time for a special, secret wish. It is a night, where animals can talk and it is also a night where it would be kind to put some extra food for the animals (and the elfs and dwarfs) outside in the garden.

Source

(More or less our Christmas as well, today and in the past.)

Merry Christmas, scheene Weihnachtn, a guate Woihnoachte, en frehlicher Grischtdaag, a blythe Yule, a freylikhe nitl, joyeux Noël ...
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:12 am
@ehBeth,

I made shortbread from the exact recipe from page 1
- used i quarter rice flour and what d'you know?
It worked!
Thanks ehbeth. its very crumbly- very good
Smile
merry christmas
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:35 am
This thread is exactly what I needed to read today.
Merry Christmas to all.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
Merry Christmas to all!

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6716/picture1ha2.png
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
I love to make a buche de Noel on Christmas. It will have to be delayed, but a late celebration is still a celebration of friendship.

Here is another treat for those who tend to be the bah, humbug type. It is for fruitcake.

Recipes for X-mas
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/BahIHateChristmas/Recipies.html

Fruit Cake*

1 bottle of rum

15 Twinkies

1 cup Trail Mix

Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Eat it.

Serves 1.

I';ll bet George Thoroughgood would like, since when he drinks alone, he prefers to be by himself....

Merry Christmas to all. I'll send slices of buche de Noel through cyberspace for anyone who wants to indulge.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:30 pm
To everyone here -

My thanks for your patience with me and my occasional (ahem!) overbearing response to some issues. I hope that all of you (Walter too !) enjoy a very happy Christmas and a healthy, happy year ahead. Calamity, thanks for being such an upbeat and warmhearted presence here. Diane, hang in there dear - you and your cranky cowboy inspire us all and are in everyone's thoughts. ebeth, thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:36 pm
I should add Hamburger - we disagree on everything, but he's a nice guy anyway.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:02 pm
No one ever agrees with you George, we still like you! Wink

My goose is in the oven, I can relax a bit now....
There was no jolly time at the market today though, I circled 20 min for a
parking spot and the lines at the cashier were super long.

Let's get into the spirit....

From Heaven into valleys deep
The mild light of a star descends,
From fir tree woods a fragrance sweet
Ascends and through the cold night breathes;
And lit by candles is the night.

My heart is startled now with joy,
It is the Christmas time so dear!
Afar I hear the church bells toll,
So dear and homely they call
Me back into a fairy tale.

Again, I stand in adoration,
The old enchantment holds me still;
Before my eyes, from deep oblivion
Lost childhood's golden dreams return.
I feel, a miracle has happened here.

(Theodore Storm)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 02:02 pm
Noz only Christmas has some nice traditions, Easter as well: Easter Fires.

From Wikipedia: "It is a Saxon, pre-christian tradition, that is still performed each year. There are several explanations of the meaning of these fires. The Saxons probably believed that around the time of Easter, spring becomes victorious over winter. The fires were supposed to help chase the darkness and winter away. It was also a symbol of fertility, which works in a literal sense in that the ashes were scattered over the meadows and thereby fertilised the soil. The pre-Christian meaning of Easter fires is hardly experienced anymore. Nowadays they are meant to bring the community together, which guarantees a pleasant night combined with the consumption of gin or lager and snacks."

Here, in our region, it's beer ('Pils') and 'Bratwurst', and the fires are mainly on Easter Saturday or (like ours) on Easter Sunday.

It wouldn't be Germany, if those fires could be lit where and by whom wants to do so: you have to meet a couple legal requirements before the fun can start.

The fire in the front is the official in our village (by the 'Schützenverein'), in the bacjground an 'illegal', where a farmer tradionally burnt stuff from the fields and woods.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qb86k2.jpg
hamburger

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 03:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
in canada we'll drive out old man winter a little later . VICTORIA day weekend towards the end of may will be a big celebration .
FIREWORKS - big and small - all over canada will be the highlight of the celebrations .
there must be several ships from china with fireworks for the celebrations already on the high seas .

locally it is the opening of FORT HENRY where the big old muzzle loaders will be creating "the big noise" across lake ontario .

http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/21621/wm/pd1358148.jpg

watch the guns fire at night :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HReOmo78Yz4
0 Replies