littlek

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:33 pm
I bought some pfeffernusse at Trader Joe's. I'm about to try my first one right.... now.....

MMMMMM! That's good stuff!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 07:47 am
Since I`m for a couple of dayz in Holland (really in 'North-Holland', the province), I've tried some Dutch speculaz todaz: nearlz as good as the German :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:49 pm
dutch speculaas are one of ebeth's and my favourite cookies - year-round . we are a little particular ; they have to be "president's choice " brand and are made with butter and almonds - melt in your mouth .
of course there are also "braune kuchen" (brun kooken in hamburg) to be eaten on a buttered crusty bun .
btw i find that the "spitzkuchen ecken" made in canada are quite a bit better than the imported german kind - perhaps they are getting a little stale by the time they get here. hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:35 pm
As some might have noticed, I've been to Holland (that was really Noord Holland, the province).

Of course, the pre-christmas season is there similar than here .... Americanised.

However, you can see in any village especially on Saturdays streetorgans, playing all kinds of Christmas songs:

the back part of a bigger one in Alkmaar (look at the writings on the notes!)

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2889/streetorganbackalkmaar1pq.th.jpg

the front of another one in Hoorn (I liked this smaller one more due to the ship :wink: )

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4632/streetorganfronthoorn5oj.th.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
The local christmas market in Alkmaar was being held in the biggest and oldest church there, the 'Grote Kerk'. (Well, that was better than what they did in Hoorn: the 'Grote Kerk' there is a two storey confection warehouse ['Vögele moden'], all over the year):

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/3358/weihnachtsmarktalkmaargroteker.th.jpghttp://img448.imageshack.us/img448/3358/weihnachtsmarktalkmaargroteker.th.jpghttp://img448.imageshack.us/img448/310/weihnachtsmarktalkmaargroteker1.th.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:49 pm
oh, the sound of the barrel organ ! when we went to germany sometime in the 70's , we flew KLM (still one of our favourite airlines) and for 15 guilder p/p(!) we received a special "welcome to holland" pack : two nights in a hotel , two day car rental , entrance to museums , dining voucher and a LP "take holland home" with music on the barrel organs 'jupiter' and 'te turk' played by hein de ligt . the music statrs with 'tulpen uit amsterdam' and ends with 'als sterren flonkered aan de hemel staan' ; we still like to play the tunes . easy going sounds . hbg
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
So today the sale of the Christmas trees started. It is nice to see suddenly little forests everywhere.

I am tied up with work- it is Christmas time. School with the normal work, a Nativity play, a labyrinth for Advent, charity collections- and then there is my family too.
But I do enjoy this most of the time. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:43 am
Read an article in a publication by the Westphalian ethnology commission.

A short summary:

Pig's cheek and curly kale
Holding a feast at christmas in Westphalia 100 years ago.

Until 19th century, the advent was tradionally a lent in Catholic Westphalia, including Chritsmas Eve.

Christmas was only celebrated on December 25th and 26th, Christmas Eve was a working day, the afternoon and evening were the times to prepare the feast.

In the early hours of Christmas, between three and six o'clock, people went to church, going to the so-called 'Ucht', the Christmas Mass.
Afterwards, the first meal after the lent, was a breakfast with sausages, ham, and white bread.

After that, the Westphalian family went to the high mass.

For dinner (which in Germany generally was and is served at 'lunchtime') sevarl courses were served as well in rural as in urban houses.
Rural people had no problems getting enough meat on the table: December was the period for butchering the own pigs and cows.
Usually, a speial piece from the best own cow/pig was served on Christmas. Others had more a hearty meal, but lots of it.

A clear soup was usually seved before that, some semolina pudding or rice pudding with preserved ("eingeweckt") fruit afterwards.

Quite popular - like today - was the so-clled Christmas-goose - of own breed, of course.

Other poultry wasn't eaten before the early 20th century; venison was more a urban-bourgeoise menu.

At about the turn of the century, more of these bourgeoise habits become part of rural feats as well: wine was served (in addition or instead of the tradional beer and schnaps) and tortes (these in addition or instead of the traditonal sweet [raisin] bread, zwieback or streuselkuchen.

However, sweet stuff like cake and biscuits was rarely found in Westphalia of those days: that's the reason, why the with speculats and sweets decorated christmas trees were THE big attraction for the children.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
On Christmas Eve, the last window on the "giant Advent calendar" in our town (= windows in the old town hall) was opened by some "angels".

After having the job their, they were allowed as last guest on the skating ring at the Christmas market (which closed already on Frday).

http://www.derpatriot.de/grafik/archiv/hires/36750961.jpg

Hoping, everone had a nice Christmas (still '2nd Christmas holiday' here)!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:39 pm
And little Angels they are, Walter. These girls are cute - relatives?

No 2nd holiday here, but we went shopping and got some
great, great bargains. My visiting Mother talked me into
investing into some "real" pots and pans, as she put it.
According to her, my kitchen is something for amateurs - pah!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
And little Angels they are, Walter. These girls are cute - relatives?

No, that was done every day by school girls from the schools, who did those windows. (Photo is copied from tomorrow's local paper.)

CalamityJane wrote:
My visiting Mother talked me into
investing into some "real" pots and pans, as she put it.
According to her, my kitchen is something for amateurs - pah!!

Well, at least the chef there is professionally-bloody enough, if I remember correctly :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
Although the christmas time (in the church calendar) ends at February 2, tomorroww, January 6, Epiphany is generally considered as the end of this period now.

All the climbing finally is brought to termination :wink:

http://www.derpatriot.de/grafik/archiv/hires/36832983.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:29 am
First Advent 2006

advent calendar 1 ... click

http://z.about.com/d/german/1/0/O/4/AdventCal03.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:30 am
and from the CBBC

calendar # 3
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:58 am
Cute! Happy 1st Advent everyone!!

We opened our third door this morning and - of course - ate the chocolate already.

THe christmas tree was delivered yesterday and we decorated it, hung
some lights outside and today we'll do the rest.

After that, we'll lie back sip tea and have some cookies.

The weather is not very christmas though - quite warm and sunny.
Here are some of our lights

http://www.borge.diesal.de/a2k/lights.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:04 pm
cj :
beautifully decorated house !
it wouldn't be the outside of the "bazaar el mundo" in san diego , would it ?
we visited sd and the bazaar in december 2004 before cruising to hawaii .
it was beautifully decorated for christmas .
wouldn't be you playing the guitar or pipes :wink: Question
einen froehlichen advent wuenscht
hbg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6088/sandiegoav4.jpg
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 08:04 pm
Happy belated Saint Nicks Day. Here is a post from a couple years ago. Link I am still keeping up the tradition and my nephew swore that he saw Saint Nicks beard and hat as he threw the candy inside.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 09:13 pm
sublime, we've had some St. Nick poems and pictures in the German
thread yesterday. It is a wonderful tradition and I have very fond
memories of it from my childhood. Naturally, I'll do the same with my
11 year old, and she's even got several Advents calender this year,
and behind every door is a little chocolate square.

hamburger, unfortunately Bazar del Mundo is not any longer as you've
seen in 2004. It was sold to a national amusement outfit from back east
(thanks to previous governor Davis Twisted Evil ) and they remodeled
and changed it to something Tex-Mex - horrible. The flair is gone for
a real touristy scene. It was heartbreaking to see the changes.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 09:18 pm
Does your little one question why none of the other kids have heard of Saint Nick?
I came up with a great backstory for my niece and nephew. I let them know that their great grandfather came here from Germany and that ever since Saint Nick makes a special trip here for our family.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 09:24 pm
What a good uncle!

Who's having more fun with the tradition, sublime - you or the kids?

:wink:
0 Replies