Tell us what your problems are.

blatham

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:55 pm
craven

Thank you for making your site a nouning-friendly zone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 07:51 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:22 am
Please put a check mark beside the correct answer:

1. calories or Jerry Fallwel.

2. potato guns or AK 47s

3. beer or amber fluidic something

4. Christian Right or BC bud

5. Bob Dylan or Celine Dion

* note....1 out of five constitutes a failing grade
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 07:07 pm
Everyone does know I was joking, yes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 07:45 am
Yeah, i knew, Sgt Preston, i hope you know that i'm only kiddin' . . . an' in case you don't know, i am very fond of Canadia, and greatly enjoy visitin' whenever i can (hell, i've even eaten doughtnuts there!) . . .

heeheeheehee

okbye

S
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:19 am
Setanta

Re doughnuts...You are, you should be advised, referring to an aspect of Canadiana actually quite isolated both geographically and culturally. To wit, with a map of Canada in front of you (you'll need a large desk as Canada is way bigger than the US) pierce Thunder Bay agressively with your compass and carve a circle extending out one thousand miles. Within this sphere are concentrated a full 91% of our doughnut shops, 93 % of our young men with hockey sticks and missing teeth, all pickup trucks painted with a roller, and Celine Dion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:03 pm
Celine Dione ? ! ? ! ? Shocked Lovey never told me ! ! !

I'm outta here . . .

heeheeheeheehee

They gotta a lotta them boys missin' teeth in Ireland, too. Over there, the national sport is hurly, which involves a soccer pitch, a baseball, two seventeen-man teams, and every mother's son of 'em carryin' a stick which is a cross between a baseball bat an' a hockey stick . . . All the big stars of the G.A.A. are missin' teeth . . .

heeheeheeheehee

okseeyahbye
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:56 pm
If the weapons manufacturers didn't have control of the White House and Pentagon, Bush could simply send a couple of divisions of hockey and hurley boys at Sadaam and the whole mess would be over in short order and all done on a budget reflecting the minimal costs of transport, donuts, oatmeal and beer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:20 pm
blatham wrote:
Setanta

Re doughnuts...You are, you should be advised, referring to an aspect of Canadiana actually quite isolated both geographically and culturally. To wit, with a map of Canada in front of you (you'll need a large desk as Canada is way bigger than the US) pierce Thunder Bay agressively with your compass and carve a circle extending out one thousand miles. Within this sphere are concentrated a full 91% of our doughnut shops, 93 % of our young men with hockey sticks and missing teeth, all pickup trucks painted with a roller, and Celine Dion.

HELLO! did you forget about the maritimes? there are more donut shops there, per capita, than anywhere else in Canada. As much as I love Thunder Bay (and i do LOVE Thunder Bay), home of Robin's Donuts, out east is where donuts rule. I heard the most wonderful comedic piece on the CBC the other week. A woman was complaining about her husband driving too slowly. When they stopped at the gas station, he tanked up and left. She went into the closest Timmy's, had a double-double, and caught up to him on foot! Of course, she then stuffed him in the trunk and the RCMP stopped her for speeding but that's a whole nother story.

Setanta - when did you have a donut in Canada? Did you share with Bailey and Cleo?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:37 pm
ehBeth

Please be advised that accuracy nor attention to detail do not loom large on my compositional agenda.

Besides, here in BC, we tend to think of the Maritimes rather like a Victorian novel portrayed the crazy relative locked away in the east tower, sometimes actually forgetting they are there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:09 pm
(Everytime I see this thread I think, "Well, I don't have enough free time, and I'd really prefer we were taking in a bit more money to cover expenses, and...")
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 12:10 am
I know...but with me it's more like....my mother never really loved me, not really. Dad? I never knew him. He left the night I was born, taking mom's Zehyr two-door with him. And mom's sister.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:57 pm
It doesn't look like anyone has the time..
Laughing Laughing [rad]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:55 pm
I answered the poll before I cottoned on the subject as being the study of English.
And yet, I would assume there are similarities in language aquisition.

I had, in my education, a lot of grammar drummed into me, whether or not it is presently apparent in my posts. Occasionally my word usage veers from the grammatic path on purpose, and sometime from laxity. Still, I am fairly well attracted to thinking about grammar. Understanding grammar in another language allows me to think as complexly as I do in my own language, but ever so much more slowly. And there is the rub. I am busy listening to a person, trying to visualize the words the person is saying, and forming a plan for a retort to the person, thinking of the different tenses, etc., and in the meantime the person wanders off or simply helps me out in semidisgust.

Sadly, I don't try for small easy sentences, no, no, I want to be understood in all my glory. I end up throwing some phrases out, and, uh, waving...rather like the caricatures of people from other countries are characterized by americans.

I would say hearing is my first lapse, I don't have sound channels in my mind to assimilate what I am hearing, and still try to visualize the words...translating as they go across my brain.

And then weakness in verbal practice is another lapse.

So, that something similar is possibly true for people learning English as well.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 12:13 am
A bit of all of the above - I have tried, even lived in a foreign country with remote success. But, my abilities are just not in this vein. However, it was told to me more than once that I was very successful in the "bedroom language"! That was enough.
0 Replies