Renounce Your Citizenship ??

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:18 am
I'm giving up here, and heading off on my red-white-and-blue-tea-drinking-bowler-hat-wearing-way...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:46 pm
au1929 wrote:
Hinge

Not to belabor the point, however the US is a nation of immigrants. For example being born and raised in NYC I can safely say that almost all the people I have known are either first, second or third generation Americans. And that their antecedents come from almost every nation on earth. I doubt that there is any nation in the world with a population mix to compare with the US. That is what makes our society strong and vibrant and different.

Hi Au

But this exactly my point - my country is easily as diverse as the US. I'm not saying the US isn't diverse. My point of annoyance was your blanket statement that all other countries are one dimensional (ethnically, religiously) - this is plainly not true.

Even the fish and chip eating Grand Duke's land of England is a melting pot of Asians, Carribeans, Africans and the usual bunch of Europeans. France has a stack of African, middle eastern and Oceanian emigres.

Ciao baby.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 07:16 pm
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation and suspense which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities."

~ David Hume ~
0 Replies

borntobefree

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:06 am
I want to move to either Ireland or Switzerland for a year. Live and work there and see how I like it. If I really like it, I'll denounce my citizenship to the USA and seek citizenship there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:02 am
borntobefree, I've visited all the continents, and most of the countries in this world, and it's my personal opinion that the US is still one of the best countries to live. I'm thankful every time I return from a trip to another country that I'm a citizen of the US. Our grandparents didn't have it easy, but our children and grandchildren are doing very well. Progress has been phenomenal during my 'short' life. It may seem greener on the other side, but it's because you haven't been exposed to their warts and pimples.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:19 am
"You think people are really willing to do it? Give up what they have here in the US? What do they really have here that you say you couldn't get in Canada or example?

Why say you are going to leave then do and then come back and collect on these benefits???

Just wondering about it."

I wonder about a lot of things. I do not believe the US government is not corrupt. If i gave up my citizenship, it would to be towards a country that really wants freedom, old Russia.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
Are you serious? You really think "old Russia" really wants freedom, and it'll be given freely by their government (Putin)? I don't think you have kept up with the news about Russia IMHO.
0 Replies