Renounce Your Citizenship ??

JLNobody

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:33 pm
Good, C.I., we agree.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
C.I
Not I. My loyalty is to the US first and foremost.
That of course does not mean that I agree with the actions of the present regime. Despite all it's warts however, there is no nation on the earth that can measure up to the US. And I do not mean militarily
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:50 pm
au1929, do you mean economically? Do you think America is superior to other societies culturally? I say that if we lose our military and economic superiority, we will remain a very mediocre society with a very bland and unnourishing culture. Our only claim to adequacy will be our Bill of Rights, and that is something most Americans seem to undervalue. They have little concern for the protection of their freedom of speech and thought, mainly because they have so little to talk about and rarely have unconventional thoughts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
JL wrote
Do you think America is superior to other societies culturally? You are darn right we are where and when since the start of time has their been such a diverse society. Of religion, ethnicity and national origin. The rest of the world is composed of closed one dimentional societies. It is and has been since it's inception the land of opportunity and a haven for the oppressed. Yes, we have had our glitches but overall there has never been as free a society as that in the USA. Even Bush can't change that.
To many people I fear don't understand of appreciate the freedom that we have.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:09 pm
Your blinkered view of the world is astounding au. Have you ever been anywhere outside the US or read a book? I don't mean that to sound like abuse but:

Quote:
the start of time has their been such a diverse society. Of religion, ethnicity and national origin. The rest of the world is composed of closed one dimentional societies

Breathtaking hubris and ignorance.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:34 pm
hingehead

Yes, I have been out of this country and read the same book as Bush. See spot run. Have you perhaps been to France where everyone and every thing not French is looked down on. Yes, they are one diminutional societies.
You by the way are not as smart as you pretend to be. But I imagine you must pump up your ego somehow.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:54 pm
My loyalty will always be to humanity first and foremost.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:12 pm
au1929, you are right to point to the cultural complexity reflecting our ethnic diversity. It IS an important asset. I was, mea culpa, referring to our white middle class culture, something that was once the rule but now a shrinking phenomenon.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:07 pm
Au - my nation, for example has 27% of it's population born overseas - outstripping the US, I believe. How can you say the rest of the world's nations are one dimensional? Or don't have ethnic and religious diversity? I'm not denying the multicultural element in the US - but to state that the US is the only nation with this asset is mindbogglingly wrong.

I'm don't pretend to be smart. I don't pretend anything.

I do like C.I.'s line about allegiance to humanity, first and foremost.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
Hinge

Not to belabor the point, however the US is a nation of immigrants. For example being born and raised in NYC I can safely say that almost all the people I have known are either first, second or third generation Americans. And that their antecedents come from almost every nation on earth. I doubt that there is any nation in the world with a population mix to compare with the US. That is what makes our society strong and vibrant and different.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:51 am
Good, au1929, we agree. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:59 am
The belief that the US is by far the best country in the world is one reason why Americans are seen as big-headed and arrogant in some parts of the world.

Personally, I find blind patriotism to be a truly scary thing. I'm British because I was born in England to English parents, and I like this country because it's the only one I know, and all my family and friends live here (and I speak the language), but if I had the chance to move somewhere else that I liked better, then I would, in a flash.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:01 am
Grand Duke wrote:
The belief that the US is by far the best country in the world is one reason why Americans are seen as big-headed and arrogant in some parts of the world.

It has nothing to do, for me at least, with blind patriotism.

I will give you this, however: I don't care if 'some parts of the world' (I am thinking countries I will not post as it wouldn't be PC) have negative opinions of the US.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:06 am
I know that many Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks, which (I reckon) is one of the reasons the world is so messed up just now.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:13 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I know that many Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks, which (I reckon) is one of the reasons the world is so messed up just now.

It appears you directed that at my post; perhaps it was merely coincidental.

Anyway, to repeat:
Quote:
I don't care if 'some parts of the world' (I am thinking countries I will not post as it wouldn't be PC) have negative opinions of the US.
That is opposed to what you posted: ...don't care what the REST OF THE WORLD THINKS...

If you believe the world is messed up because Americans don't care what you think, I believe you are seriously misguided, at the very least.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:33 am
quote="Grand Duke"]I know that many Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks, which (I reckon) is one of the reasons the world is so messed up just now.[/quote]

Nonsense! The world is no more messed up than it ever was. It just seems so since the world because of the advances in technology, figuratively speaking is so much smaller today. There are very few isolated happenings. What occurs in one corner of the world impacts all.
As to whose fault it is? I would place the blame on those nations that sit back and take the attitude that if it does not effect me I can ignore it
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:50 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
My loyalty will always be to humanity first and foremost.

agreed
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:12 am
Graffiti/au1929 - One of the reasons I find it hard to resist posting things like I did is because some of you Americans get so bloody uptight about it. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, trolling, or any other such nonsense that would earn me a ban. I had attempted to be tongue-in-cheek, but obviously failed. Please disregard my comments and continue on your red-white-and-blue-star-spangled-apple-pie way.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:15 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Graffiti/au1929 - One of the reasons I find it hard to resist posting things like I did is because some of you Americans get so bloody uptight about it. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, trolling, or any other such nonsense that would earn me a ban. I had attempted to be tongue-in-cheek, but obviously failed. Please disregard my comments and continue on your red-white-and-blue-star-spangled-apple-pie way.

I could take you seriously if you hadn't added the snide 'red-white-and-blue-star-spangled-apple-pie-way' bit at the end. Certainly seems like you were/are both trolling and trying to start a flame war.

In any event, I prefer "This Land Is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
<tongue-in-cheek>
0 Replies