Renounce Your Citizenship ??

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Never! There's no place else on this planet that I prefer to call home.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 07:05 pm
This is my home. In my own neck of the woods I have plenty of political company. But our coast, where I live, and the other coast, seem to be strangers in a strange land.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:54 am
Thinkfactory, I'm sorry there is so much gay bashin' in some states in the US, we don't really have it here. There was a particulary nasty piece of 'anti promotion of homosexuality' brought in under Thatcher......called 'clause 28' but it's defunct now (I think/hope).

But one good thing came out of it: My brother's big fat cat is called 'claws 28' :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:33 am
My son lives in Europe and is married to a European citizen. Almost the first thing he did when his daughter was born is to visit the American Embassy and register her as an American citizen.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
This may change your mind about homeland security and moving to another country.

The new Homeland Security Bill has passed. Things will be different now. Internet surfing will be tracked by the FBI with a nonintrusive method. The FBI says you will not notice anything different. Click below for a demonstration.

http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:32 am
Do they have to get some kind of court order first to prove probable cause? Or can they just basically track anyone they want to?

Amazing thing about banning certain books. It is also amazing that more people can not see certain similarities between the Bush policies and some of things Hitler did.

I woudn't denounce my citizenship, for one thing I would never move away from my loved ones and for another I haven't given up hope for a brighter day. I wish there was a way to just officially denounce your support for the administration and all it's actions rather than just some vague election. Maybe a citizens petition resolution stating dissociation with the President passed around all over the country or something.

But then the people who signed it would be put on a watch list I bet. :wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 04:42 am
It is a real risk to renounce your citizenship. What happens if your new country doesn't work out? I read in the newspaper all the time where people have given up australian citizenship for another country and then after a few years, got homesick and wanted to move back but wen't allowed. In Australia, people who give up their citizenship are put on the bottom of the queue for immigration purposes.

Two suggestions would be

1)Take joint citizenship if applicable in your circumstances

2)If not, take a residency for some years to see how you like the country. Try before you buy!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:29 am
Hey c.i.-

I would say that it is our task to provide those unfortunates you mention with the occasional flash of wit in order to try to lighten up what must be a very trying experience.
Somebody has to maintain this wonderfully safe and silver-spooned existence we have inherited and just thanking them is too easy.I know you didn't vote for it where you live but where I live we didn't vote for the CPD and they are not unfortunate.Quite the contrary.

Swallow it whole.One never knows the dependency chain.

"This 'tis:-
Blunt wedges rive hard knots:the seeded pride
That hath to this maturity blown up
In rank Achilles must or now be cropp'd,
Or,shedding, breed a nursery of like evil,
To overbulk us all."
Troilus and Cressida.Act 1 Scene 111.

spendius.
0 Replies

doyouknowhim

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
People are willing ?

Give up what ?

Here we have elections that are different in Canada ?

"Leaving" and the "collection of benefits" is there relevence between them ?
0 Replies

OTownRoss

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
D'artagnan wrote:
While I can understand the impulse to move to Canada (or elsewhere) right now, I think that the Bush team and its fans would be more than glad to see us leave.

Better to stay and fight!
Question
That is not the case. You could call me a Bush fan, but I do not want to see anyone leave. We have to get past the political divisions right now. You mentioned the "impulse", America has to mean more to you then who sits in office at the time!! When ever I get into a heated political debate, something that helps me to cool off, I say to myself, if me and this liberal were talking at a bus stop or grocery store about something besides politics, we would be getting along perfectly. How many people do you come in contact with everyday that are decent friendly people, chances are at least half of them share opposite political views then you. Lets work for unity, not division!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
OTRoss, Welcome to A2K. You've hit the nail on the head with your first post; "Lets work for unity, not division!!!" Right on!
0 Replies

OTownRoss

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:21 am
revel wrote:

Amazing thing about banning certain books. It is also amazing that more people can not see certain similarities between the Bush policies and some of things Hitler did.

I understand you may not share the same political views as other, but I take offense to the comparison. It is totally unfair, and unjust. Frankly, it is idiotic and makes no sense.
If you really see similarities between the two, you may find it useful to look into Hitler's Germany.
If you really felt that Bush was a second Hitler, maybe you should move to Canada, but as you stated, you wouldnt do that. That leads me to believe you are actually just replicating somthing you read off moveon.org
Lets work for a better America, and not spread hate please...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
OTownRoss

I agree this is one America and in unity there is strength.
Will someone please explain that to Bush?
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:40 am
OTownRoss wrote:
revel wrote:

I understand you may not share the same political views as other, but I take offense to the comparison. It is totally unfair, and unjust. Frankly, it is idiotic and makes no sense.
If you really see similarities between the two, you may find it useful to look into Hitler's Germany.
If you really felt that Bush was a second Hitler, maybe you should move to Canada, but as you stated, you wouldnt do that. That leads me to believe you are actually just replicating somthing you read off moveon.org
Lets work for a better America, and not spread hate please...

Yep. Godwin's Law was just invoked. (I also take great offense, by the way, to the absurd hyperbole.)

I'd welcome you to A2K, but, hey, I've only just arrived myself. Aw, what the heck: WELCOME. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:42 am
Quote, " How many people do you come in contact with everyday that are decent friendly people, chances are at least half of them share opposite political views then you." Heck, all my siblings are republicans and christians, and I'm an independent and an atheist. If we can't get along, there is something more wrong than just religion or politics.
0 Replies

dan E

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, " How many people do you come in contact with everyday that are decent friendly people, chances are at least half of them share opposite political views then you." Heck, all my siblings are republicans and christians, and I'm an independent and an atheist. If we can't get along, there is something more wrong than just religion or politics.

pretty much the same here except im not actually an atheist, but there is a big difference between conservatives and bushists, I live in brazil and many people here are conservative and many supported previous republican presidents but I have as of yet met only 1 bush supporter here in brazil and he is a south african prick named mark (Craven met him here in brazil) every body else, at least all those I´ve met here and they aren't just young, intellectual, open minded, easy going folks like me but as Im an english teacher here I speak to lawyers, police officers, bank managers and doctors every day, and the one thing we can all agree on is that bush is an ass, they all hold the same point of view, even my conservative siblings
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:00 am
He may be an ass, dan_E, but not comparable to Hitler. And yes, politics have about nothing to do with my choice of friends and associates - so long as they don't insult me for my beliefs.
0 Replies

dan E

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
I personally think that its about impossible to compare (on equal grounds) a totalitarian dictator with an elected president but bushs global dislike should speak loudly (even hitler was loved by all in germany at the time, or at least they pretended to love him so as not to get the chop)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
Our system will preclude the possibility of Bush turning into a Hitler. Were that not so I would not put the attempt beyond the religious fascist
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:47 pm
au1929 wrote:
Our system will preclude the possibility of Bush turning into a Hitler. Were that not so I would not put the attempt beyond the religious fascist

The Weimar Republic, too, thought it had safeguards in place, au. Wake me when it's 2008.
0 Replies