I know theres a word for this.

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
Is there a word that means "I can't think of the word right now"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,303 • Replies: 11
No top replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:21 pm
UMMM, UMMMMM........Ummmmm......... :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:56 pm
Memory lapse...senior moment...
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
or Brain fart...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
I have heard those terms used for the occasion, but I still wonder if there is a real word for it.

Is there a word for something that mean "I know what it is but I don't know what it is called"?

I already call too many things "doohickey, thingamabob, thingamajig, whatchamacallit" because I can never seem to think of the right word for things. I am afraid that I'm creating quite a reputation for myself by needing a "thing that goes like <mad hand gesture> and would work to do <some insane thing>". I deal with one poor vendor who is convinced I come from a planet where things are different from earth things.

Today, to the dismay, then delight of the poor young men working at the gas station, I told Mo that something was a "meat noodle".

I always buy gas at that same station and I'm afraid that I will forever be the "meat noodle lady".

Honestly, there seems to be some disconnet between my brain and my mouth when it comes to nouns.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
not that i'm aware of! would only be another word to forget anyway.... case in point: this thread!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:05 pm
whatsisdingy?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
Annifa, you are most likely right.

The thing is, I don't have the problem so much when writing, only when speaking. I suppose if I had to describe myself in ten words or less I would say "I'm better on paper".

Whatsisdingy!? Thats a good one! Thanks, Swimpy.

(By the way, I love the photo in your avatar. Is it something from your personal archives or is it just a photo you found somewhere?)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
Boomer, That is my maternal grandmother Alice circa 1945. My uncle brought the grass skirt back from the South Pacific. I wasn't born yet, but the photo was always my favorite one of her. I scanned a few photos of my ancesters and have been rotating them as my avatar. You shoulda seen great-grampa Mike. I was a looker!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
I usually say..

" and this is where my alzheimers kicks in... "

Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 06:50 pm
It is a wonderful photo, Swimpy. I'm glad to know that it is your relative. A few summers ago I spent a good part of my life scanning and saving old family photos from both mine and Mr. B's family. Now I'm thinking I should drag them from the fire safe and post a few here.

Ack! shewolf! I'm a bit too superstitious for that pharase! Perhaps I'm too afraid that it could be true.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:18 pm
My mom used to joke about "Al", as in, "Al and I came in here a minute ago and now I don't know what for."

When we asked, "Al who?" she'd reply (of course), "Al Sheimer!"
0 Replies