Am I being obsessive or is he not in love with me?

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2017 07:54 pm
This is a long story.

Back in 2014, I had a boyfriend. We were young (I was 19 and he was 18), but I used to stay at his house for long periods of time. We practically lived together. His parents didn't know we were gay, so they didn't mind.

After almost one year, we began to have problems. He complained because he thought I didn't love him the same way he loved me. On the day of our anniversary, I found out that he was cheating on me. I caught him too soon, so he never got to actually meet the other guy in person. He was a liar. He lied about almost everything. I hated this, so I began to feel disappointed and over time love was gone. I wasn't in love with him anymore. We broke up 6 months later.

After 4 months or so of being single, I began dating someone else. We got together and became boyfriends but I never lost contact entirely with my ex because we had a common best friend. My friends managed to let me know that he was still in love with me and would do anything to get me back. I wasn't in love with him, even though I liked talking to him and seeing him "by coincidence" and stuff.

My new relationship wasn't working out well, we had issues and I got bored pretty quickly. It all got worse when we went to the beach and my ex was staying in the building next to ours, and our common friends arranged a meeting. We met (all of us) and I felt sort of confused. I wanted to dump my then boyfriend and jump into my ex's arms.

A month later, after a relationship of one year, I broke up with my boyfriend. I tried hard to become friends with my ex again. It wasn't that hard, he wanted it as well. He began inviting me everywhere, and soon he made his moves on me. First we slept in the same bed without touching, then we hugged, then we kissed.

We then had our first holiday as friends, so he invited me to a trip to the beach with his friends. Before the trip, we talked and stated that we would not become boyfriends again but we'd be together in some kind of open relationship. But he immediately began saying that we were boyfriends and that we had a normal relationship, that we wouldn't do anything with another person.

A few months later, I found out he was talking with some guy and that it was getting serious. I noticed because he didn't want to talk to me, call me, see me, or anything else anymore. We didn't have sex anymore. He never kissed me or hugged me.

When I confronted him, he said he loved me. He said he was in love with me and that the other guy meant nothing, but then I got him to admit to my face that he wasn't in love anymore. A week passed and I wrote to him to tell him that I missed him. Strangely, he said he missed me too and that he had left the other guy, that he was in love with me and wanted us to get back together.

We talked. He said he couldn't be my boyfriend, but we wouldn't have an open relationship this time. He said he didn't want to do anything with anyone else but that we would not call each other "boyfriend" because he couldn't do that: he assured that he was afraid to not be able to handle it after I left (I am planning to move to a different country next year).

Of course, at first it was hard. My self-confidence got crushed. My confidence in him got crushed (again). Everything he said, I thought it was a lie. His attitude was pretty good at first, reassuring me how much he loved me and wanted to be with me all the time.

The he began to get mad. I started going to therapy and things got easier again. It all started to work out but it has been strange. I mean, when we're together it's cool and everything but it's like he's simply not in love with me. Sometimes he makes excuses so that he can avoid seeing me. He says that he has something for school or something. Other times I get him to admit that those are excuses, so he says he needs his time and gets mad because I'm "overreacting". To him, making excuses to avoid seeing me doesn't mean that he doesn't love me.

In conclusion: he says he loves me, but I'm being obsessive wanting to see him everyday and pushing him to become my boyfriend. He says that I'm exaggerating every time that I feel bad because I feel like he doesn't pay attention to me. He says he's happy about our terms and the relationship that we have, and that I'm the only one who complains. But then I tell him that it's because he doesn't feel the same way and he gets mad, and says that he does love me but he won't be "all crazy and obsessive" like me.

What do you think? Am I being obsessive or is he lying? Shouldn't he, after missing me during that year and thinking that he'd lost me, value me more than ever? Is it normal that he doesn't want to see me, sleep with me, have sex sometimes?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 445 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2017 09:41 pm
You are at different levels of perception of this relationship.

He's just not that serious.

Either accept this or move on. Or wait until his love grows. But it doesn't sound like he will put any effort into making this anything other than what it is.

Decide if thats enough for you.
0 Replies