Federally funded sexual abstinence programs lie to kids

Einherjar

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Agreed.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
At least 4 million Einherjar since there are more Norwegians in the US than Norway. Shut your yap and eat some lutefisk and krumkake, and wash them down with a Hansa.

Btw my maiden name is Pederson, and my grandparents came from Lebesby in 1907. Before I die I hope to see a fjord.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:49 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1043834

I have been fuming ever since I saw the article.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
There goes any credibility those teachers might have, about anything.
Idiots.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
ehBeth wrote:
There goes any credibility those teachers might have, about anything.
Idiots.

Not only credibility, but respect, too. There are many youngsters who are fairly sophisticated about sexual matters. Imagine what they are whispering to the other kids about what the "boob" of a teacher is spouting!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
MaryM wrote:
At least 4 million Einherjar since there are more Norwegians in the US than Norway. Shut your yap and eat some lutefisk and krumkake, and wash them down with a Hansa.

Btw my maiden name is Pederson, and my grandparents came from Lebesby in 1907. Before I die I hope to see a fjord.

Certainly much more than 4 million or they would not be able to exert such influence in a country the size of the US. We have nuts as well, but they are few and thus do not exert the kind of influence the american theocons do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:00 pm
We had "special" instructors for sex-ed stuff in junior high. Took the place of one of our regular classes. Our normal teachers didn't participate except to keep things on an even keel.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:09 pm
Junior high? That seems late to be starting this kind of education.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
Haha, people at free republic are defending this stuff.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
MaryM wrote:
Even a smart guy like Bill Clinton didn't wear one when Monica sharpened his pencil, absolutely ignoring the advice from every "reputable" source regarding safe sex.

When the leader of the free world screws up like that (sorry), any % failure rate is possible.

Remember, Clinton never had actual intercourse with Monica. It was blowjobs and handjobs. And a cigar.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:22 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Junior high? That seems late to be starting this kind of education.

Nowadays, sure. This was 20 years ago, though. Might have been late then, too, I guess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:28 pm
We started when I was in Grade 4 - which was about 35 Shocked years ago. I'd have expected things to progress, not regress.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:02 pm
Teens will do what they want to do.
Period.
Irrespective of the pledge we all made as teens to avoid becoming "like my parents", the generation gap between "us" and "them" broadens, along with the varying levels of acceptable behavior within their peer group vs. ours.

Theoretically you could raise a child in isolation, filling their hungry minds with falsehoods and misinformation, passing it all off as fact, and they would never know the difference until they emerged as a free thinking being in the real world.

While I do not in any endorse said instruction, I can understand the pitiful justification behind it--it's like telling kids about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. They're going to discover the truth about the two fictional characters sooner than later, but in the mean time their existence serves a purpose.

It is nothing short of a pathetic agenda driven mandate to inseminate as many people with your ideology as you can--and it will do much more harm than good.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
Having just read all the comments.
I would say to the question where would they get teachers willing to teach these lies. There are approximately give or take 40 million evangelical Christians.

Regarding the teaching of sex education in schools. That would have been unheard of in my generation. I am not quite sure whether teaching it is a deterrent or a promoter of sexual activity. However, if it need be taught everything both the promotion of safe sex as well as abstinence should be included.

The teaching of abstinence only is ignoring reality. Something that this administration is prone to do.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:25 pm
au:

Quote:
The teaching of abstinence only is ignoring reality. Something that this administration is prone to do.

The problem is that abstinence works the best, it is a time proven method of not getting an STD as well as not getting pregnant. It is hard for kids to get around the message of sex being an ok thing for them to do. Society has been pushing sexual messages strongly for several years now and for the younger population, it is the only message they have received. When you see TV it is filled with pro sex images with no consequences, how can parents and schools compete with that?

Abstinence is something that hasn't been strongly taught in this country for at least the last decade. I don't have an issue with pro-sex and abstinence being taught but I would hope that abstinence is the stronger of the 2.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:34 pm
Baldimo- I absolutely agree with you. Our country has become very sexualized, and kids have absorbed that message. I think that it is fine to teach abstinence, as part of a sexual health curriculum.

The problem is when lies are being taught as truth. I was thinking about this, and how the fundamentalist Christians are probably cheering at the entire idea of scaring kids about abortion, STDs, potential suicidal behavior, sterility, etc.

Then again, aren't those the same folks who preach hellfire and brimstone?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:51 pm
well Phoenix, you might say hellfire and brimstone is quite likely to 'scare the pants off of them' and that would be kinda self-defeating. (if you get my drift)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
Baldimo
If you mean abstinence works best in preventing pregnancy and STD's that is a given. However, if you mean that teaching abstinence only works best, what do you mean by best. Youth today and in fact the not so young are bombarded by TV and the movies with the message, it's great come join the fun. While that message abounds it would be foolish in fact stupid if the message of protecting one's self is ignored. As our great leader would have us do.
As a side note the elderly need those lessons as well. The elderly are now one of the largest groups contracting AIDS.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
I heard an article on NPR that cited studies in the US and abroad that abstinence only programs had the same or worse outcome when compared to other approaches.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:26 pm
Quote:
As a side note the elderly need those lessons as well. The elderly are now one of the largest groups contracting AIDS.

Au- Yes, I have seen that too, in a number of places. The problem is that many of the elderly don't realize that when they have sex with someone, they are having sex with everyone else that the partner has slept with.

Many of the older generation, are quite naive about sex, especially if they have been widowed, and only had sex previously with their deceased spouses. Then when they start to date, many are as unsophisticated as teenagers. Many will not use protection, figuring that since they cannot get pregnant, why bother?

http://www.caps.ucsf.edu/over50.html

Quote:
A common stereotype in the US is that older people don't have sex or use drugs. Very few HIV prevention efforts are aimed at people over 50, and most educational ad campaigns never show older adults, making them an invisible at-risk population. (6) As a result, older people are generally less knowledgeable about HIV/AIDS than younger people and less aware of how to protect themselves against infection. This is especially true for older injecting drug users, who comprise over 16% of AIDS cases over 50.
0 Replies