Federally funded sexual abstinence programs lie to kids

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:08 am
Sexual abstinence drives stretch facts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. youngsters participating in federally funded abstinence-only sex-education courses often get inaccurate or misleading information, the Washington Post has reported.

Reuters Photo

According to a congressional staff analysis, some courses teach that touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy, abortion can lead to sterility and suicide, and half the gay male teenagers in the United States have tested positive for the AIDS (news - web sites) virus, the Post said.

The report, prepared for California Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman (news, bio, voting record), reviewed the curricula of more than a dozen projects aimed at preventing teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease, the Post said.

The Bush administration will provide $170 million (88 million pounds) next year to groups that teach abstinence only. Several million children age nine to 18 have participated in more than 100 federal abstinence programs since they began in 1999.

The report found that 11 of the 13 most commonly used curricula in such programs contained unproved claims, subjective conclusions or outright falsehoods regarding reproductive health, the Post said.

Waxman's staff found the curricula included misconceptions such as a 43-day-old foetus is a "thinking person," HIV (news - web sites) can be spread through tears and sweat and condoms failed to prevent HIV transmission in 31 percent of the time in heterosexual intercourse, the Post said.

"I have no objection to talking about abstinence as a sure-fire way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. I don't think we should lie to our children about science," Waxman told the newspaper.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,410 • Replies: 51
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:16 am
OH MY GOD!
I am shocked that this kind of information was
1) OK'ed to be taught
2) Is acceptable to ' certain people' as good information

What happened to teaching facts?
>sigh<
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:20 am
shewolfnm wrote:
What happened to teaching facts?

Ideology trumps science, don't you know that?

Check out the threads on Creationism being taught in Wisconsin and elsewhere.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
Am I wrong in thinking that lying about the effectiveness of condoms just makes people unlikely to use one when they start having intercourse?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:37 am
While I find nothing wrong with INCLUDING ABSTINENCE, the course should not misrepresent the facts. It would be fair to say that SOMETIMES abortion leads to depression etc... those conditions are not absolute.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
woiyo wrote:
It would be fair to say that SOMETIMES abortion leads to depression....

True. Then again, delivering a baby sometimes leads to depression. I don't expect that they talk about that much.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:03 am
woiyo wrote:
It would be fair to say that SOMETIMES abortion leads to depression etc... those conditions are not absolute.

Touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy, sometimes.

This is as true as "eating salad can kill you" sometimes.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:13 am
Making those kinds of statements to kids is self-defeating.
Once they realize you're BSing them, it's all over for your credibility.
After that even the good information will be suspect in their minds.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:18 am
I'm really wondering where they would find teachers willing to pass this "information" on to their students.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:21 am
boomerang wrote:
I'm really wondering where they would find teachers willing to pass this "information" on to their students.

Who would have thought you would find people willing to come up with this stuff to start with? I bet they find plenty of people to pass on the information.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
Scare tactics. *sigh* Cause there aren't enough untruths regarding sex and pregnancy and STD's floating around....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
boomerang wrote:

From the same group (and it's obviously a very big one) who ignored all of the lies and came out 'triumphant' in this last presidential election.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:00 am
And the lying continues....................
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
Estimates of condom effectiveness are all about how well they are used.

Even a smart guy like Bill Clinton didn't wear one when Monica sharpened his pencil, absolutely ignoring the advice from every "reputable" source regarding safe sex.

When the leader of the free world screws up like that (sorry), any % failure rate is possible.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:14 am
MaryM wrote:
Estimates of condom effectiveness are all about how well they are used.

Even a smart guy like Bill Clinton didn't wear one when Monica sharpened his pencil, absolutely ignoring the advice from every "reputable" source regarding safe sex.

When the leader of the free world screws up like that (sorry), any % failure rate is possible.

Well, I guess since they won't teach the kiddos how to use a condom in the first place, I suppose you might be right.

Of course, a condom used correctly has a much lower failure rate.

By all means, let's just teach the stuff that it's convenient for kids to know.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:18 am
Americans are nuts.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:19 am
I guess people would rather their kids be dumb rather than safe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:19 am
Einherjar wrote:
Americans are nuts.

Well, yes, I mean of course: no.

Okay: some. Laughing
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:22 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
Americans are nuts.

Well, yes, I mean of course: no.

Okay: some. Laughing

How about many?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:42 am
Some are sometimes many. Even more than that.
Especially, when I'm in a very polite mood.

Like just now.
0 Replies