The Art of Extrapolation

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:36 am
This one is for all those fellow students out there... Smile

To the more diligent of you, the art of extrapolation is a vital tool in the expression of one's opinion on multifaceted subject matter. To those of you who thought that last sentence wasn't in English, the art of extrapolation is a way of saying something in so many different ways, it actually sounds like you're talking about more thna one thing.

The Oxford Pocket Dictionary defines to extrapolate as to "infer more widely from a limited range of known factors". You COULD take it that way; or you COULD say that to extrapolate is to be able to say "Huckleberry Finn travelled journey" in, say, 700 words or more.

Philosophers, English teachers and the like will ALL say that extrapolation is the simplification of ideas. While the rest of us think that to extrapolate is to make something simple seem unnecessarily complex (and long), and thus sound intelligent; assuming that you have a knob for a brain in the first place. If you don't (have a knob for a brain, that is), then you do this for fun and, consequently, should be taken out and shot.
But that's not the point.

To master the sacred Art you can do one, or a combination of a few things:
*Repeat what you just said in a set of brackets or "parentheses" for fun (that means that you put stuff in brackets like this which means exactly the same thing, only different)
*Look up the thesaurus for as many of the words as possible and find words that sound like they make sense. The exploitation of substantially sized (big) words will probably perplex (confuse) your educationalist (teacher) more than yourself (you). And these educationalists seem to have the misconception (to think wrongly) that people who retain larger vocabularies (know big words) implement the process of further investigation (do more work (hah!)). And thus you sound like you've put 'effort' into your task (whatever you had to do).
*Insert "As it were" into the end of the phrase. As to what it really means, I don't know. It doesn't make sense, it just sounds good. But "As it were" seems to be the most popular because you can put it almost anywhere, as it were.
*Put in those precious old English words. Say "hence", "henceforth", "thus". "therefore" instead of "so" and you sound like a linguist (and hence you sound smarter). But don't get any delusions, you're only using them becuase I told you thus and henceforth, you are still an idiot (who has a knob for a brain, of course).
*Insert "more often than not" in a few places. Use "more often than not" in combination with commas (i.e put a comma before and after the phrase "more often than not" which, more often than not, you have to do anyway) and it becomes , more often than not, the most effective and highest word using tool. More often than not, the phrase "more often than not" can be put in place of "probably" or "most likely" (and "more often than not" has , more often than not, a higher word count than "probably" or "most likely" (and hence increases your word count)(and yes, I realized, I'm missing a bracket). It will also, more often than not, impress the teacher, because for some reason, teachers, more often than not, like comparison to other things, even if they do not exist, which, more ofter than not, they don't, as it were.

Now with these newfound skills, you can turn the sentence "Americans are stupid"
Into
"The inhabitants of the United States (being those states which were former colonies now united after the American Revolution) are, more often than not, percieved as having more than, rather than less than, a lack of understanding, as it were (meaning that they cannot grasp certain concepts), and henceforth do not have the cerebral integrity and capacity to elucidate, or to pontificate, the solution, or solutions to, complex problems, as it were."

Congratulations, you have now mastered the art of saying complete and utter rubbish.
You can use a, slighty more, let's say, derogatory term to desribe this skill, but I don't think the moderators would be too happy if I include it in this forum; so I'll simply describe it as the "production of bodily waste by way of male bovine"
You get the idea.
A word of warning though, if you extrapolate too much, you will, more often than not, not be able to stop and thus have a lack of ability to stop saying the usless words that come out of your pen. If it gets bad, more often than not, you will, more often than not, start using the skills in totally inappropriate places (i.e putting stuff where it doesn't need to be put, as it were) as it were, as it were.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 709 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
This is not extrapolation it is:
Verbosity
Prolixity
Loquacity
Logorrhea

Sir Humphrey from 'Yes, Minister' is an apostle:

Jim Hacker: "When you give your evidence to the Think Tank, are you going to support my view that the Civil Service is over manned and feather-bedded, or not? Yes or no? Straight answer."

Sir Humphrey: "Well Minister, if you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of departments, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn't very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage."
0 Replies

MC Cheez

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:06 am
What's stopping extrapolation from being a mixture of verbosity, prolixity, loquacity and logorrhea?

Anyways that entire post (of mine) was, to put it simply, more often than not, a humorous interpretation of a word in the English language that (according to the Oxford Pocket Dictionary) means to :"infer more widely from a limited range of known factors". The varied words you have presented to me may, more often than not, be true but it would take considerably more time and effort (not to mention excrutiating boredom for the readers) to write "The Art of Verbosity, Prolixity, Loquacity, and Logorrhea" in place of "The Art of Extrapolation" or "verbosity, prolixity, loquacity and logorrhea" in place of "extrapolation" (that means it would take much more time to type 'verbosity, prolixity, loquacity and loggorrhea' as compared to typing 'extrapolation')

Ich bin eine stunde so I really can't be bothered looking up the thesaurus for those words that you have presented to me in your previous post. (Was I slipping into German again? Dam und blast, das ist sehr schlecht!) I didn't really put much effort into that previous post seeing as I had homework to do (I wasn't actually going to do it though, just pretend to. Which would require not being on the computer).

Do they still make 'Yes, Minister'? Seems like a funny show.

Are you from Cairns or Canberra? Hard to make out which one Cairnsberra is.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:39 am
Hiya Cheez

Physically in Canberra spiritually in Cairns. Come January all of me will be in Cairns, except the detritus of my past.

Sadly the actors who played Jim Hacker and Sir Humphrey have died in recent times but they stopped making it way before that.

I've course I could have just written 'asdfiuoawehadf' because it is shorter than the previous two paragraphs. But it wouldn't have made any sense.

Welcome to A2K - how did you find us? (please don't say 'I looked under a rock and there you were.')
0 Replies

MC Cheez

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:58 am
I looked for a site that had information about something, and found this place. (Slightly different to 'I looked under a rock and there you were')
0 Replies