Support Letter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 01:29 am
Help needed

How to word a support letter for a friend - his father recently passed away.
I've never written such letters. Several sentences will do.

Any input will be highly appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 623 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:36 am
There are a number of things that you could write..........but I would have to know a little more about the relationship between you and your friend..

How close are you to this person?- This would make a difference in how personal you would couch your words.

If he needed you, how far are you willing to go? You would not write. "I will be there for you 24/7 whenever you need me", if he were not a close friend.

How old are you and your friend? There is a big difference in what you would write to a 20 year old who lost a parent, as opposed to a 60 yeear old.

Did you know his father personally? If you did, you might want to share a moment that you had with his father. "I remember the time that your dad............"

Did the father have a long illness? Was he very old? Was the death expected? Again, that would make a difference in what you would want to say.

Is this person religious? If he were. you might want to quote a relevent passage from the Bible, or talk about getting strength from his faith.

Is the person married, or in a committed relationship?

Without knowing these things, anything that someone would write would sound trite. The idea is to capture something of the person, and his father, in your note.
0 Replies