Son's father jailed for failure to pay

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 12:40 pm
My son's father owes more than $19000 in child support. He was ordered to appear in court last week and did not show up.
A warrant has been placed for his arrest and he has a $20000 cash bond. What is the difference between a cash bond and a regular bond through a bondsman? Will the amount of the arrears go to me and my son?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,414 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 01:31 pm
The bond is to make sure he appears in court. You don't get any part of it if he appears or doesn't appear. The only way you will get the owed child support is if he pays it, whether that is because of a finding against him or because he ups and does it.

This link is specifically about Idaho law, but the information is easy to understand: http://www.the3rdjudicialdistrict.com/bondout.htm
0 Replies
Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 07:51 pm
As Jespah said, the bond has nothing to do with you or the child support.

You will only get money if they garnish paychecks or tax returns or the court starts seizing property and forcing it sold at auction. My dad worked with a guy that wasn't paying child support. They let it go until the child was 17 (and the father had bought a house and some property). They took him to court and the judge gave him two options: Liquidate his assets and pay or jail. He sold everything he had and also had to declare bankruptcy to get out from underneath the debt he accumulated liquidating everything.

It's a bummer, but ya gotta pay it someday.
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » Son's father jailed for failure to pay
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/04/2022 at 09:39:47