Help plz!!! my paper isnt gettin a good grade

abcdef

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
my teacher said that i only deserve a C on this paper, could neone plz help me to make it sound better, thank you in advance

Soccer

Soccer is a sport that many kids, teenagers, and even adults participate in. It's a sport known universally as football, but only in the United States it's known as soccer. Soccer is a game played by two teams formed by eleven players, on each team. These two teams compete trying to score as many goals as possible. And, of course, the team with the most goals wins at the end. Soccer is an hour and a half game, plus sometimes a few more minutes which are referred to as overtime. Overtime does make a difference in any sport or activity. Soccer requires some difficult or easy skills depending on how able you are to learn and understand those skills. This leads us to introduce some skills soccer might require as a physical sport, I will list them here:
Running, quickness, teamwork, sportsmanship, skills, and effort are all basis that create soccer. One of the most important physical requirements needed is to be able to run fast. The field is about 110 yards, and the player has to be able to run that distance in less than 40 seconds in order to know if he is physically fit for the sport. Also, the player needs some flexibility in order to jump high and react fast, like switching directions of running in a split second. This might sound easy, but trust me it is not as easy as it sounds. The way you kick the ball, how you throw a throw-in, or how you hit a header are all examples of the different skills you may have that are different from your own teammate. There are also some individual skills that aren't required, but might predict your experience with the sport, such as bouncing the ball using all body parts. I consider myself good: bouncing the ball 320 times, in the air, using all body parts except my arms and hands while eating a sandwich. Now, that might sound easy but it takes a lot of effort to do so. Soccer has one really strong requirement and skill; the player has to have sportsmanship, he needs to always address and cheer his teammates when losing, and if the player is one of those athletes that don't like to lose at all then soccer isn't the sport for him, this all leads up to the player's temperament.
A soccer player's character should be one of the calmest personalities. The opponent might not have the same concept so that's why you should think that the opponent is crazy and you're the normal one. Assuming that makes you want to avoid temper throughout the whole game. However, you don't want to let your opponent feel that you're weak. You should be talking to your teammates and guiding them through the game. As FIFA (Federation Internationale De Football Association) said, "You can judge a team by their captain (leader)". However, the captain takes full responsibility of his teammates mistakes on the field. For this reason, not many of the players prefer to be a captain. The structure of the team helps the captain communicate with his teammates; also it is his responsibility to decide who takes a penalty kick or a throw-in, this is really hectic because he also has to play the game.
The team is made up of eleven players, as I mentioned before. One of the eleven players is the goalie, and the goalie's job is obvious from the name. His duty is to protect the goal from any balls going in within a certain box called the 18. It's called the 18 because it's a square that has sides of 18 meters. The goalie is the only player that can touch the ball with his hands within this distance. After the goalie is the defense. There are many ways to play this game but usually it's played with four players on defense. Three players lined up and the forth, who is called the sweeper, stands just a little behind, his duty is to clear all balls that accidentally slip by the other three defenders. Then, the midfield, which is also made up of four players, two wingers and two midfielders, has the most difficult duty. They have to play all around the field, defending, scoring and also making sure the ball goes to our last two players. The forward is formed out of two players. These two players are not to be in their teams half field unless the team is losing. So their job is to receive balls from the midfield and score. However, they do help defending when the team is in a losing situation. When every player performs his duty as well as he/she could then you find the good team that wins and never fights with their opponent.
Soccer is an interesting sport; many like to play and others just enjoy watching. It's not hard to gain skill or play soccer all that is needed is practice, and practice makes everything. As a soccer player you should think of how bad you want to win, not how good or bad you are. So if you really like the sport and want to play it, you'll do well. However, on the other hand, if you just want to play the game to say you play a sport, that doesn't really help at all. It took me 12 years to become one of the most athletes to participate in many soccer tournaments. I even played professional, which was an awesome experience that gave me more lessons than I knew. Soccer is a sport that u cant forget how to play, the ability to play it wont be the same but u cant lose skills once u learn them. I play soccer every once in awhile but not as I used to play before. It's a great experience and worth the time that's wasted while playing soccer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Aurora Dark

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:19 pm
What was prompt? (I'm wondering what your intention is)

(example: were you told to write about How to Play Soccer? What is Soccer? Describe a sport? etc)

I believe that would help clarify things, for people to help you more.. Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:39 pm
I could pick the grammar apart, sentence by sentence, but I don't know if that's what you need. If it is, I'd only tackle a couple of things, but here's a couple of suggestions.

Look through it again. Look for run-on sentences (two sentences together as one). Make sure each paragraph has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Make sure each paragraph, and each sentence in it, has a reason to be in the paper. Check English idioms; for example, captains take responsibility "for," not responsibility "of." Perhaps you'd want to adopt a more formal tone of voice.

Good luck!
0 Replies

abcdef

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:37 pm
okay here is the assingment
TOPIC: write an essay in which you explain an activity or duty, such as working at some job or fulfilling some obligation, nothing the potential dangers, qualities needed for this activity, and the mental or physical requirements for accomplishing it. we are thus analyzing this activity or duty or job by explaining what is needed in order to achieve success.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:51 pm
Sounds like you may need another topic.
0 Replies

abcdef

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:22 pm
i cant, it must be about this topic, soccer!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:15 am
Before you write your paper, write a rough outline of what you want to say:

For instance:

What is soccer

Equipment

Rules of the game, etc.

Then keep each thought in its own paragraph. When I first looked at your composition, I was completely turned off, because that it was all in one huge paragraph.

Check this out:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/composition/composition.htm

Be especially aware of the part which is seen on the left, "Structural Considerations".
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:48 am
Re: Help plz!!! my paper isnt gettin a good grade
I agree with the 'one huge paragraph' - you need to give information in bite sized chunks that people can easily digest and as explained already, a paragraph for each topic.

Kids is slang, in an essay the language should be more formal - young people could be substituted and so you could shorten it to 'young people and even adults .....' so cut out all the slang and everyday sloppy speech and phrase things a little more formally.

Incidentally soccer is a term used internationally as interchangeable with the word football - it is just that here (England) football means soccer, never American football etc which is very much a minority sport here with only a few followers and Rugby's full name is rugby football.

Overtime is not the correct phrase - it is extra time. (overtime is when you stay late at work or too long in the car park)

Soccer requires some difficult or easy skills depending on how able you are to learn ??? awkwardly phrased and a little strange

Soccer is a skilful game that each may learn according to their ability ..??? something like that?

Running, quickness, teamwork, sportsmanship, skills, and effort... by quickness do you mean quick reactions? quickness is meaningless without some sort of definition of quickness in what.

It took me 12 years to become one of the most athletes to participate in many soccer tournaments. ???? one of the most what athletes? most able? most useless? most caring? most red headed? most skilled?

I even played professional, which was an awesome experience
played professionally - and awesome experience is slang again

It's a great experience and worth the time that's wasted while playing soccer if it is a great experience then why say the time is wasted? surely just time spent?

there are lots more of these sort of errors so you are lucky to get a C - sorry! Confused

You need to consider slightly more formal language for the essay, cut our all the slang/street talk, sharpen your sentences up and cut our repetition and waffle and use paragraphs to organise thoughts - it is then easier for people to read.

The advice on organising your thoughts before starting is really good and i would just add that all the time you are writing , think back to the assignment brief - is what you are writing addressing the topic? and the issues it expects you to cover?

good luck
0 Replies

abcdef

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
thnx guys, i rewrote it, and got an A on it.
Vivien, ur help helped me a lot in my writing the second time. thnx again
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:36 am
good - I wondered if my comments might upset you as they were a bit harsh! (but I hope constructive) - well done and thanks for coming back to say thanks - so many people don't Very Happy congratulations
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:33 am
Hi all,
I'm so glad you got an A on your rewrite! That shows you really thought about the help you got here and about your subject. Congrats!

An aside to Vivien: In Amurrika, games do go into overtime. Staying too long in the parking lot (no such thing as a car park here) is just staying too long... It's more likely we'd "let the parking meter lapse" and thereby earn a parking ticket.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
aah I see
0 Replies