Lymphnodes

Seed

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:59 pm
So what can you guys tell me about Lymphnodes? A friend of mine's son has some swollen lymphnodes by his temple. what causes this and is it dangerous. The doctor told her some stuff she didnt understand and couldnt break it down for her so any help would be great thanks guys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:31 pm
I dunno. The lymphatic system resides in nodes all over your body, most notably at your groin and neck. I believe they are responsible for your immune system. Perhaps your friend should call her Dr's office and ask for some written material....?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:25 pm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003097.htm
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:27 pm
Lymph system
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:52 pm
A lot of people call swollen lymph nodes " swollen glands" although this is a misnomer. Glands can't be swollen. Anything you know about " swollen glands" translates directly to swollen lymph nodes.

Lymph nodes are responsible for filtering crud out of the blood stream . YOur friend's doctor is a very, very bad communicator ( as a lot of doctors tend to be) and shoud have explained it better. This probably isn't the site to be , but i've had the lymphnodes under my arms swollen ( which always happens when I use underarm deodourant directly after shaving/ waxing my armpits) . They usually go away after a few weeks. Sometimes ( very rarely) cancer can get into the lymphatic system and that's very bad because it spreads all over the body. It's unlikely that that's happened in your friend's son's case ( and she/he would have mentioned it if it was a risk) , so don't fret about it.

Usually they just hurt / feel funny for a few weeks and go away. I think it's usually caused by the lymphatic system being clogged up as a result of being unable to cope with the amount of infection/inflammation they have had to cope with.

Smile Hope that helps. My A+P prof does a lot of research on the lymphatic system, so we've studied it a little, but I'm also not an expert. YOur friend should ask the doctor for some more info, and maybe going to " webMD" or another medical site will give you better information.. I haven't seen a great deal of medical experts in this room.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:03 pm
damn, I thought this topic was about nymphnodes!
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:32 pm
maybe in a later discussion dys... and thanks guys
0 Replies