Should medical marijuana be legal?

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:41 pm
The Supreme Court is weighing in on this as we speak...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,584 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:45 pm
To my mind, the Medical Marijuana issue is a medical question, not a legal topic. I hope the Supreme Court--experienced in cancer issue--will agree.

Edited to remove hasty writing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:49 pm
I second that thought.
The only reason marijuana is illegal is because someone some where said they wanted it so...
So hopefully someone today will say they want it to be legal to be used for medical purposes.
( crossing fingers )
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:54 pm
Or legal to be used for people who just want to get high on their day off. Shocked Mr. Green
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:56 pm
Medical use of opiates is legal. I see no difference.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:02 pm
Marijuana should not be illegal under any circumstances.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:36 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Marijuana should not be illegal under any circumstances.

And neither should any other drug. In the case of m.j., the choice is particularly appalling. It is so absurd to deprive people who are nauseous from chemo, or in terrible pain, because of some idiotic idea about addiction.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
Marijuana was not subject to US Federal regulation untill 1937, and its demonization is largely due to one Harry D. Anslinger, an otherwise insignificant and wholly forgettable jazz-hating minor bureaucrat with a phobia about Mexicans, who managed to manufacture a crusade which ensured his job.

There's lotsa REAL info out there, but ya gotta go get it on your own, 'cause The Establishment ain't gonna hand it to you. For some interesting, informative reading, try these (and chase down some of the links offered thereon as well):

The Science of Medical Marijuana

Universtity of Missouri - St. Louis: Marijuana

DrugCulture.Com: Marijuana - Fact and Fiction

A reasonably unbiased, peer-reviewed summary of the Federally-Commissioned 1999 National Academy of Sciences study,
Marijuana and Medicine - Assessing the Scientific Base, (Download note: 22 page PDF file),

as conducted by Janet E. Joy, Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr., Editors
Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Health
INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE
Published: 1999 by NATIONAL ACADEMY PRESS
Washington, D.C.
From the preface to the report:
Quote:
NOTICE: The project that is the subject of this report was approved by the Governing Board of the
National Research Council, whose members are drawn from the councils of the National Academy of
Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine. The Principal Investigators
responsible for the report were chosen for their special competences and with regard for appropriate
balance.
The Institute of Medicine was chartered in 1970 by the National Academy of Sciences to enlist
distinguished members of the appropriate professions in the examination of policy matters pertaining to the
health of the public. In this, the Institute acts under both the Academy's 1863 congressional charter
responsibility to be an adviser to the federal government and its own initiative in identifying issues of
medical care, research, and education. Dr. Kenneth I. Shine is president of the Institute of Medicine.
This study was supported under contract No. DC7C02 from the Executive Office of the President,
Office of the National Drug Control Policy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:23 pm
Lemme put it this way:

I know more people who do not smoke pot...who would benefit from an occasional joint...than I do people who do partake...who would benefit from stopping.

Lots more!
0 Replies