A Europe A2K Gathering in May 2005

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:09 am
Ah, Francis, I checked your link--you should be completely sure now that we are seriously meeting in London--but that we won't be serious about anything, I hope!

Grand Duke, Steve, Yay. Anybody think we can lure Clary down for the weekend???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:27 am
osso, Do we keep stats on "depression rates?" Rather hard to do, because many people do not seek professional help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
CI, that was just a nudge from me that I don't think productivity is all there is, all-important, in life.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
Yes, osso, productivity can be all consuming--crushing one's very humanity. This country has become so capitalistic that it has almost forgotten what it is like to just sit and have a leisurely chat with friends and family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
I've worked almost fifty years, with not all that many vacations, due to job situations where I was, if not indispensible, very needed, and most of those vacations were of the 4 - 5 day sort. I've had a couple of month long ones, which I've fed off of in my travel-crazed mind for years later.

I'm a fairly creative person, but the constant use of my best awake hours to do my job(s) has taken a toll on my own projects. Sure, it's my own fault re career choices, I'll grant that, but twenty to thirty days vacation a year, plus holidays, is very attractive to me in retrospect, in that it would not be quite so personally constraining.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:07 pm
Thinking... I haven't had a vacation while receiving pay for that week or weeks since... 1979. And even then, I didn't take them... too much lab work coming in..

That was the last time I was actually officially employed by someone. After that I was employed for a short term job, and then self-employed, working either as an independent contractor or with my own small practice.

Sorry for the tangent, folks. Just riffing on the wonderment of paid vacations..
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
US at bottom of vacation days. One of the reasons our productivity is one of the highest in the industrialized world.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/937134/posts

c.i.
Spoken like a true accountant - bottom line is all!
I agree with Osso and KP Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
I've had friends that wouldn't take time off from work to socialize with friends and family, but that was their choice, so I didn't say anything to them. I, on the other hand, always took my vacations and sabbaticals whether to travel with family or go solo. Devoting one's life to work is a choice I never felt necessary. I remember during the tech boom many engineers slept at their office to work 24/7. I always thought that was too much of a sacrifice, no matter how much one enjoys working.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:37 pm
You worked at a place where you got vacations and sabbaticals. Not everyone does, CI.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:41 pm
Even in the retail business where one can work seven days a week, we were granted two weeks vacation. I worked some weekends and longer than eight hour days to advance mywelf with the company, and it worked. Got regular pay increases, and was promoted to management in 3.5 years. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:43 pm
When I worked for two, private, nonprofit agencies, we got one month sabbaticals after working four years. Spent two of them in England. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 05:43 pm
Hi there, thanks Diane for pointing out this thread while I am still unplanned as to May!

I shall make a point of being there. Wherever and whenever it is ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:13 pm
I was going to point it out but didn't want to be buttinsky yet again. Cheese-it.

On another note, please weigh in on our tormenting Kicky on his upcoming trip to italy. Some of us californians have overwhelmed him and we need more input to put him under...

can't give the link this minute, but will be back. It's endless and growing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:20 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42876&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:21 pm
This intrigues me... Bookmark!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:28 pm
Good, we need more people in that thread to shut me up and let kicky feel his own travel 'oats'. Or, to confuse him more.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:34 pm
Oh, not that thread; this thread. But maybe I'll try to get some interest in that thread too, since I've been to Italy before, although I was young and had a rather bad time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:03 am
oooh, good, tell us about the bad time, on that thread, of course.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:05 am
Hehe, okay. Later, though. My head hurts. I've been on here too much today. Etc,etc,etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:16 am
Before Italy takes over the place here:

hotel for c.i., Diane and Dys here is booked here at my place.
0 Replies