A Europe A2K Gathering in May 2005

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:03 pm
well have fun and no blowing your own trumpet
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:08 pm
margo wrote:
I've been on that bus - but - I must be so blaze - World's End made no impression on me at all!

Never mind, it's not the end of the world you know ... still, it is cool you've been at the World's end.

(Sorry, I missed your answer when you posted it)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
As a little addendum to this thread, I would like to report a coffee meeting with Tarah in her charming Edgware residence, and today a pleasant lunch with Steve and Ros at Dartington Hall as they whizzed back to Essex from the joys of Cornwall. I laid on special entertainment for them in the shape of MORRIS DANCERS!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
What are MORRIS DANCERS? Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:12 am
Sounds like nekkid guys...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:02 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
What are MORRIS DANCERS? Smile

Link to Dartington Morris Men, with lots of infos re history etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:17 am
Nothing like men with bells on.
I like Morris Dancers when I see 'em around town.
Cool
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:50 am
Morris Men, morris or moorish dancers.

I have read that gypsies (called elsewhere Roma or tinkers) were so called because of fanciful links to Egypt.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:01 pm
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~smg/images/images/morris%20dancers_jpg.jpg

Morris dancers are meant to be quintessentially English but as McTag says, the word is possibly a corruption of Moorish. However they've been around for a pretty long time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:05 pm
Many of the "sides", especially in the Midlands and North, perform in black-face or have a blacked-up member of the troupe.
I'm not sure anybody really knows why. Theories vary.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 12:39 pm
Bit late getting back on line Clary, but great to see you at Dartington, and what a wonderful place.

[besides morris men we had conducted tour of gardens and Great Hall by our most knowledgeable guide and host]

got back late on Saturday...about 8.45!!! You know I really love that M3 M25 M4 stretch of motorway. So refreshing after Cornwall and Devon.

Mctag, dont they call 'em coconut men? Not exactly pc these days.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm
Glad you survived the journey intact, Steve! It's been raining ever since.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
thanks clary

Need another holiday now

next time we are flying Stansted/Newquay
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:31 pm
Good plan!
I may see you when I fly Stansted/Istanbul in August. In fact, do you know anywhere I can park relatively cheaply thereabouts?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:16 am
The airport (and all those cheap airlines) must have been a great boom for the area around Stansted. Mind you, it was probably a nice sleepy area before all those noisy planes came!

There ain't nuttin' cheap thataways, I tell you!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:20 am
Not sure if sleepy - more suburban bustle. I've just heard they are planning to expand Heathrow to more runways, adding virtually a whole new airport. Why don't they expand ours down here, and serve this area better instead of ensuring traffic jams and huge noise pollution around London? The smaller airlines are doing this, I'm glad to say, but not ENOUGH.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Park at Morags- you met her in Honkers- and she will drive you up to the airport, I bet.
Want me to ask?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:11 pm
C'n I park at Morag's too, next time I'm that way?!

She's never met me (and may not wish to!), but I'm a witty peace-loving, well-mannered Australian! (who doesn't usually have a car in Blighty!)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:49 pm
margo wrote:
C'n I park at Morag's too, next time I'm that way?!

She's never met me (and may not wish to!), but I'm a witty peace-loving, well-mannered Australian! (who doesn't usually have a car in Blighty!)

If you're ever in the eastern fringes of Britain, with or without a car, I'm sure you would be made welcome. I'd come down too.

That family, btw, have just done the rail journey from Darwin to (Adelaide?) across the middle of Australia en route to Tasmania where her brother lives.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:55 am
You may be interested in this

Quote:
Are you coming to the party? Official A2K Gathering in Chicago, May 6th, 2006! <--- Click for details
0 Replies