I don't want to hurt anyone any further!

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 02:59 pm
I am a woman in my mid-late 20's...in somewhat of a love triangle.
Both men I have interest in have been told that I am taking time (a few months) to clear my mind and evaluate things.
I don't want to compare and contrast the two men but I will say they have strong character differences. Being committed with one person is the desired outcome here.

Guy 1 is from my past, over 5 years of reconciling and friendship. We met as teens and we have not let the idea of us being together go. More sketchy than I would like for a partner to be, but I too am flawed, which was apart of our foundation as friends. I have noticed that I tend to date guys like Guy 1, and he is the original.

Guy 2 is rather recent, a true friend. I want to be fully committed to this outstanding person but the lingering thoughts of Guy 1 are present. I feel terrible about this because he spoils me.

I don't want to hurt anyone any further!

In a dream situation, Guy 1 and I would be together in bliss and make it work.
In a realistic situation, Guy 2 and I would be together respectfully and make it work.
Guy 1 has been my crush all these years despite his flaws. I have an affinity for him. We would be together if I wasn't afraid of it not working because my feelings for him have always been there, still are but not enough to jump blindly.
Guy 2 hasn't shown any character flaws at all that conflict with my values. I have faith in him because of this.

This may sound terrible and I am okay with that, but what do you think should be done? Pursue the dream that is risky or be more realistic and safe?

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 03:12 pm
@runfaster,
Clear your head and concentrate on yourself. Not on these guys. On YOU.

Take a class. Start a hobby. Go to the gym. Volunteer. Rearrange your closets if you like. Just ... be who you are as a solitary person.

Why am I suggesting this? Because you could use some inner resources. You need a gut you can trust - and right now, you probably can't trust your own.

So be on your own, however that works out. And give it a hard end date but not a quick one. As in, two or three months. Let both guys know they are free to date other people - because you are free to do this as well (although I would honestly advise you not to. Just find yourself as you and not as a girlfriend).

Then, when the time is up, reassess. You may find you didn't really miss either of them. You may find you craved one or both of them. You may find one or both of them are no longer available (that's a chance you may have to take) and have moved on. You may find you are still confused, of course, but hopefully you will have some better inner resources for dealing with things.

Oh and by the way, if Guy 1 is the so-called 'bad boy' and Guy 2 is the marriage material, recognize that life is not a Harlequin romance. Bad boys tend to not pick up either the laundry off the floor or the kids from day care - and the annoyance level you will get from that kind of bullshit in your life will soon overtake any passion you might have.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 03:29 pm
What are the "flaws" for #1?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 05:17 pm
I'm confused by the title you gave this thread. How and who do you perceive you are currently currently "hurting" that you don't want to do that anymore?
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 07:03 pm
guy #2 seems like he will be a better match for you. no flaws, no history and takes good care of you. better to start fresh than try and fix a broken relationship.
0 Replies