I'm "Jones"ing for meaning!

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:45 am
I've come across this expression twice in three days - it's not used in British English but I've heard it used before on occasion in American.

Do you know where "to jones", meaning to crave, comes from?

Was there a Mr/Ms Jones who couldn't get enough of something? :wink:

Internet dictionaries also have Jones as a slang term for Heroin - if this is how the craving meaning originated, what have Jones and H got to do with each other?

Curious from London. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:49 am
Kitchenpete- I must have been living under a rock for the last few years. I had never heard the expression. When I looked it up, apparently it has a drug (as well as other) connotations:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jones&f=1
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
Interesting!

I always assumed it was derived from the saying "trying keep up with the Jones'" which means wanting to acquire many things.

Jonesing = wanting
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:30 pm
and I thought of a song, KP. Are you surprised? "Have You Met Miss Jones".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:48 pm
I think Miss Jones actually met Miss Otis, via Ella Fitzgerald.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
Me and Mrs Jones :wink:

Along Came Jones :wink:

Jones Versus Jones :wink:

Don't let the Jones's get you down (Temptations) :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:32 am
jones is also used around here to mean "that sucks"
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 04:48 am
I thought of Bridget Jones. Lol, she's a card.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 04:08 pm
Tyrone Shoelaces, he's got a basketball jones...

From a novelty song from the late sixties or early seventies, I think. So the idiom has been around at least that long, probably longer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 04:11 pm
Quote:
Main Entry: jones Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: jnz
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -es
Etymology: probably from the name Jones
1 slang : HABIT : ADDICTION ; especially : addiction to heroin
2 slang : HEROIN
3 slang : an avid desire or appetite for something : CRAVING

source: Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (26 Nov. 2004).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:55 am
I always thought it had something to do with Tom Jones, not the rocker, but the book and/or movie. Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:47 am
The idiom is much, much older than either Tom Jones, book or oozy singer. We need someone with access to an OED to look up the first usage. I'm betting 18th century.

Joe
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:13 am
K.P. and all, this was the only thing that I could find:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2003/05/11/205551
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:51 am
From the online etymology dictionary: Phrase keep up with the Joneses (1913, Amer.Eng.) is from the title of a comic strip by Arthur R. Momand. The slang sense "intense desire, addiction" (1968) probably arose from earlier use of Jones as a synonym for "heroin," presumably from the proper name, but the connection, if any, is obscure.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:54 am
Apparently, it is related to 'john', and this definition kind of cracked me up, so to speak:

masc. proper name, c.1160, from M.L. Johannes, from L.L. Joannes, from Gk. Ioannes, from Heb. Yohanan (in full y'hohanan) lit. "Jehovah has favored," from hanan "he was gracious." As the name of John the Baptist and John the Evangelist, it was one of the most common Christian given names, and in England by early 14c. it rivaled William in popularity. O.Fr. form was Jean, but in England its variants Johan, Jehan yielded Jan, Jen (cf. surname Jensen). Welsh form was Ieuan, (see Evan), but Ioan was adopted for the Welsh Authorized Version of the Bible, hence frequency of Jones as a Welsh surname. Feminine form was Joan, Latinized as Johanna. Colloquial John Hancock "signature" (1903, sometimes, through some unexplainable error, John Henry) is from the signer of the Declaration of Independence, either from his signing first or most prominently. The family name is attested from 1276 in Yorkshire, a dim. (see cock) of Hann, a very common given name in 13c. Yorkshire as a pet name for Henry or John. Johnny-come-lately first attested 1839.
0 Replies