correct greek spelling

STE

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:44 am
I would like help in the correct spelling in Greek of my friends name, her english name is Tina but on her baptism papers it is Stamatina. She was born in Anthens in 1965 and I would like to know more about the origin or meaning of her name as well, not too much is known except that it was her Grandmothers name and GreatGrandmothers also. Not too much help offered on the www only that it is not too common of a name. Thank you to anyone that reply or post a response.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 8
No top replies

-I-1-2-No-U-

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:27 am
TINA is Old English and Hindu for "River"

I wonder if your friend's name is a corruption of STAMATIA?

If it is then STAMATIA is a Greek derivation of STAMATIOS, which is derived from medieval Greek stamato meaning "stop".

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
more likely STAMATINA is a corruption of STAMATTINA, italian for This morning.
0 Replies

-I-1-2-No-U-

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 07:37 am
I beleive the author is looking for a GREEK name.

STAMATTINA is an interesting alternative, though.

Good find, Francis.
0 Replies

STE

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:23 am
Thank you for all good responses, a few options for me to explore now . Will I be able to spell it using the standard qwerty keyboard layout in english only using the Greek language converter is it the same spelling or am I totally off on this assumption? This is what I get Σταματινα. Someone told me there is no such female name like that but there are some on the internet and I have tried to contact them to find out more. This is how I stumbled across this forum, it is great! Stamattina is the only close find but would it be the same for latin greek? Sorry for more ?? but it does bring up for searching further I know with this kind of help it will happen.
0 Replies

-I-1-2-No-U-

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
Good luck with your investigation.

At least we've given you a head-start.
0 Replies

STE

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
Is there anyone that could help in the correct spelling of her name (Stamatina) using the Greek alphabet. Or am I correct in using the standard keyboard switching it to Greek. thank you
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
STE - your spelling is correct in ancient Greek, if that helps, but your friend has a modern Greek name. Try looking here
http://ourworld.compuserve.nl/Alexmoundreas/ENGLISH/Greek+namedays/ENGLISH_Greek_namedays.htm

where you can also e-mail the author
0 Replies

STE

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
Thank You HofT, that is what I was looking for also, she mentioned her name day was in november from what she remembered. Tried looking for Greek name days as well but that one never showed up or I did not look far enough into Google. Thank You again!
0 Replies