Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,309 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:02 pm
So many irregularities have been claimed by both sides that I think the entire process by which this country votes should be examined. The continued charges and counter charges are beginning to damage the legitimacy of elections as a whole.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:08 pm
Well that's a switch! I agree that we need to do a better job with our electoral process. Standardization would be a nice start. I'm not sure how you ensure that someone doesn't vote twice, though, at least without endangering the anonymity of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:11 pm
My ultimate faith is in computerized voting machines that spit out paper slips much like Teller Machine receipts. The voter could peruse the slip before dropping it in a ballot box. Recounts would be much easier and even accurate.
Second is to ensure every voter gets the chance to submit a vote. This would be the tricky part ...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:16 pm
Yeah edgar, I just can't stop being amazed that this voting machine of yours hasn't come to fruition. To paraphrase Bill Maher, if we can make slot machines that never miss a nickel, why can't we make a voting machine that never misses a vote? And atm machines spit out receipts all the time -- not rocket science.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm not sure how you ensure that someone doesn't vote twice, though, at least without endangering the anonymity of it.

Would requiring someone show an ID when they are given a ballot (or sent to a voting machine) endanger anonimity? I'd have to go and check but I think the concept is that who you cast your vote for is supposed to be the "secret ballot". Not who did or didn't show up to vote.

I think we need to work towards is making sure that whomever wants to vote (legally) gets the opportunity. With that we need to work in measures to make sure they only vote in their district of residence and that they only get to vote once.

In parallel to that we need to make sure that the ballots that are legally cast are recorded accurately and that a secondary system (i.e. paper recording) is available for a recount if one becomes necessary.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
I'm not sure it's that simple, fishin'. The problem -- beyond requiring id -- is that people who vote twice don't usually do it both times in the same place. They might use absentee ballots and show up at the polls. They might maintain registrations in two different precincts or two different states. That kind of thing is hard to prevent without some sort of centralized system.

But yeah, I don't have a problem with being asked for my voter registration card or id to vote.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:27 pm
Ensuring one vote per voter is equally important to the points I have already made, naturally.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:29 pm
Is anyone surprised that, given the manner by Dubya came into his first term, reforming the voting system was not a priority?
There are simple (albeit expensive) cures to a problem that makes a mockery of American democracy--and I'm not entirely surprised it hasn't been remedied. After all, why put you country in debt over something so completely unrelated to a reelection campaign *cough* *Iraq* *cough*
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
It seems to me that our government goes to a great deal of effort and expense to avoid solving our real problems. What was the point of a 911 commission if we weren't going to regard its findings? What was the point of a help America vote act if it didn't actually do anything to solve the voting problems?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
It would be relatively easy to correct the problems if it were also as easy to correct human nature.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
The problem -- beyond requiring id -- is that people who vote twice don't usually do it both times in the same place. They might use absentee ballots and show up at the polls. They might maintain registrations in two different precincts or two different states. That kind of thing is hard to prevent without some sort of centralized system.

I agree. An accurate system for "cross-checking" voters is necessary too. Very good point.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:46 pm
A national registry would not be that hard to put together, if the will to do so existed.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
People get antsy in this country when you start talking about national registries and national id cards and such. That might be a hindrance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:55 pm
Yep. Human nature again.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
Woud this work?

1. Register to vote. Has to be done at DMV or local voter registration office, or through a booth / one stop registration done by DMV or local voter registration office. In other words, no door to door by people not legally required to turn in voter registrations.

2. Within a week or so, you get a credit card type card in the mail with a magnetic strip.

3. Vote day, you go to polling place, insert card into touch screen like ATM and proceed to vote.

4. On completion of voting, machine keeps your card. Spits out receipt for you to keep.

5. The card records your vote and since it is kept by the machine, preventing you from voting again, it also has a record of the votes for recounts. Just re-feed the cards through.

Also, your name and address would be matched and scratched when you finished voting to prevent you from voting more than once.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:12 pm
Sounds feasible. Where is Jimmy Carter when you need him?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:17 pm
There's only one perfect way to ensure people only vote once...
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
There's only one perfect way to ensure people only vote once...

Kill them after they've voted.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
You get the idea...
0 Replies