is totalitarianism a perversion of nationalism?

ramses

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
I hope someone can answer that
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 700 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:00 pm
Most often it is.
Other times, it is a perversion of internationalism (as for "internationalism of the proletariat").
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:03 pm
I'm not sure there's a causal connection, but they do seem to correlate. Totalitarianism, if memory serves, means rule by an undemocratic leadership with dissent not allowed. Nationalism may be used as an excuse to justify such a government.

So, hmmm, maybe yeah, one is a perversion of the other. Interesting question!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:20 pm
One can see that most of past and actual totalitarist regimes have only two causes : cult of personality and greed. Nationalism is almost everytime an excuse to justify them. (I believe).
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:44 am
A totalitarist with success must be the person who has utilized Nationalism well.

(Like Hitler)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
Stalin and Mao were totalitarian and they had their own cult of personality even though they're not of nationalist parties. I think that totalitarianism is due to a sociopathic narcissist taking power and often using nationalism to gain the support of people and to brainwash people.

It's interesting though that totalitarianism crumbles in the end. Fascism and Nazism were crushed, there was a period of destalinization in the soviet, and Mao's ideas were not lived up to.
0 Replies