Breathing Space for Refrigerators

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 08:54 pm
I am getting ready to buy a refrigerator, but my kitchen space is very tight. I can fit it into a space that can barely accommodate a small two-door refrigerator if the space between the back and the wall is only about 1 inch. I know they say 4 inches is the minimum, so what happens if it's 1 inch?

Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 09:13 pm
@SonofBaraka,
SonofBaraka wrote:

I am getting ready to buy a refrigerator, but my kitchen space is very tight. I can fit it into a space that can barely accommodate a small two-door refrigerator if the space between the back and the wall is only about 1 inch. I know they say 4 inches is the minimum, so what happens if it's 1 inch?

Most fridges have a heat exchanger on their backs. This is how they "remove" heat from inside the fridge. If the space is too small the build up of heat is higher with less space to spread it out so the heat exchanger isn't going to work as efficiently.
roger

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 09:29 pm
@Krumple,
In that case, it will also have the compressor running for longer periods of time. Probably wear out faster.
0 Replies