Weight Loss Surgery?

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:48 pm
I'm debating having Lap Band Surgery. Its been a constant debate within my mind for years. It has its pro's and its con's.

Let me give you the rundown:

I am 5-8.
Wieght (swallowing hard here) 256
And Female.

I have done the Yo-Yo Dieting for years. AT one point my wieght was up to 331 pounds. I lost that wieght and yes, I have kept it off. And no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get under 250.

I'm not an over-eater.
I do not binge.
I am not a couch potatoe.
I am very active.
I'm not big on sweets.

My only down fall is Coca-Cola.

My blood pressure stays at the norm.
I do not have high Cholestral.
I do not have high bad Cholestral. (215)

And I do not have low self-esteem. Even for weighing what I do, I carry my wieght well, and people don't realize that I weigh 256.

I know, you wonder whats the problem? Well, obesity is the leading cause of heart problems, diabetes and scores of other problems. I have problems with my feet, ankles and hips. My job requires lots of walking. Actually, I wore a pedometer to work one day and clocked in over 6 miles in an 8 hour period. But When I come home from work, its all I can do to walk, without hurting. My joints ache so badly, that I feel at times I need painkillers to avoid the tears that I want to shed.

So..why won't the weight come off? Am I just prone to weigh this forever? Both my parents were over-weight. My mother had the lap band surgery and has encountered few problems with it.

My father on the other hand, lied to us and had the radical by-pass done. He went into surgery on a Monday, and died that following Friday due to complications. It was a horrible death.

I was in the middle of having my insurance aprove my surgery when he died. I backed out immediately from having it, due to being scared. But 5 years have passed and I have had it on my mind for months now and feel its time to go through with it.

So...is there anyone in A2K that has had the procedure? Anyone familiar with it? What is your take on the surgery? And do you have any advice to give?

And P.S.
Yes, I have had my thyroid checked. And every other test run and nothing has come back with a problem what-so-ever. And the really weird thing is, if I loose 20 pounds or so, My blood pressure goes through the roof. Now, that makes no sense what-so-ever!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:16 pm
I just don't know what to offer, besides sympathy. I managed to lose about 15% of my weight with a combination of changes in diet and increased exercise. I would be delighted to drop another 10 or 15 pounds, but it just isn't happening. I'm somewhat against the idea of surgery as whatever the cause of the weight, the cause will probably still be there after all is done and paid for. I keep hearing that an increase in muscle mass would increase metabolism, but I haven't really gone that route myself, so just passing along gossip. You say your mother had few problems. Does that mean she kept the weight off? If so, it may be worth trying. I just don't know.

Do check out your shoes for a possible solution the the feet and hip problems. With that kind of weight, you need good support, and even good shoes eventually fail without your noticing it.

Well, best of luck with whatever you decide. Let us know?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:28 pm
Hello Anonymous,

Sorry, I have no information about Lap Band Surgery,
but I feel that surgery - any elective surgery for that matter - should be the last resort, and only if necessary.

Have you consulted a dietician or nutritionist?
Or, you might have a food allergy that keeps you from
digesting food properly, thus not burning off the carbs
or fats.

There are so many possibilities and I would advise you
to explore all avenues before opting for such an invasive
procedure.

By the way, a Cholesterol level of 215 isn't that good.
Anything above 180 is considered high.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:47 pm
Welcome to A2K, Anonymous,

That's a very difficult choice that you're going to have to make. The medical board might be a good place to start, but most of the people here aren't experts, and you should be careful taking any internet advice ( which I'm sure you will be, anyhow, but am just saying) .

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

Ignoring the weight, you do sound very healthy . 250 kgs or 250 pounds ( which is about 100 kgs, isn't it? ) ? What is the main reason for having the surgery done? Because of your joints, the health reasons or societal pressure?

If you carry the weight well, and people are surprised you weigh that much, you probably have a lot of muscle. If you are concerned about being a healthy size, perhaps you should pay more attention to your dress size and hip-waist ratio than to your actual weight ( which isn't so important for health) . You usually have to start putting on weight ( as muscle) before you begin to lose it. The best measure for risk of heart disease is your hip-weight ratio, not your weight compared against your height . If you want to reduce your risk of diabetes, stop drinking coke. Weight isn't as great a risk for diabetes as the amount of sugar you consume.

Have you talked with the other people you work with about how much pain they experience at the end of the day? My auntie is currently working in a factory ( which involves a lot of heavy lifting) and she is in a lot of pain at the end of the day. It's just part of the job. Perhaps you should also try and see if you can transfer to a job where you spend less time on your feet ( if that's what you want) .

About dieting: Eat! Don't force your body to go through famine. Yoyo dieting is extremely dangerous and unhealthy, and just makes you put on weight by slowing your metabolism. Dieting makes you (anybody) fatter + flabbier. F*** Jane Fonda and her eating disorders.

Hope that helps. I hope your decision turns out to be the right one for you. You might be best finding a discussion board for people who have been through the procedure as well as posting in the medical forum, because there aren't likely to be many ( or any) people here who have been through the procedure.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:54 pm
Smile Did this post just move, or I am delerious?

Just adding that going to a dietician (like Roger said) and also an occupational therapist ( to find a method of reducing pain associated with work) might be a good idea.
0 Replies

Anonymous1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:52 am
Thank you very much for your advice and opinions.

The decision to have this surgery isn't based on social pressure. Even though I feel that where I'm happy now, I'd be much happier thinner. Easier to find clothes, etc.

Size wise, I'm a 20. Clothing isn't that hard to find, if you like your basic black, or navy blue.

Shoes, I spend about a 100.00 per pair for work. I find comfort in the shoes that I wear due to the fact that I spend all day running on my feet. That was one important lesson learned early in childhood from my mother, was to take care of your feet.

Health wise, the decision is based on family medical history, my pain and frustration at the end of the day, the fact that If I get still and sit for 10 minutes or so, that getting up is painful. But I'm not alone in that. The other people that I work with experience it also. Even the ones that weight 100 pounds or so.

Moving to another job isn't an option. I'm the sole person in this position and there is no one to fill my position, unless I quit. Thats not an option, for I do love my job and quite happy with it.

My social interaction with others is not in anyway effected with my weight. I have many people that tell me that I'm quite cute, or beautiful. So...even though that probably sounds cocky on my part, I've never let my weight bother me with my appearance. For I have too many men that I find attracted to me. (that does sound cocky, sorry)

My mothers only problems that she has experienced after the surgery is: unable to digest meat very well. And having to take loads of vitamins for what she's lacking in her diet. Other than that, she has lost her excess wieght and kept it off. She went from 245 to 125 and has remained at that wieght. So have the others that I know that has recieved this operation. And she had hers in 98'.

And about eating for myself. With the dieting that I have done in the past, I have really messed up my system. So much so that I know have to rely on some medications to get it straight when I have a problem. I'm not a big meat eater. Venison, chicken about it. I do not eat a load of dairy, so I'm sure that somewhere I have totally messed up in that area. But I can't make myself eat, and I do only eat when I'm hungry.

The allergy part, I have looked into, nor the digestion of food. I have recently had my sugar tested to see if that wasn't a cause of the weight problem. For it can cause a weight gain and once the sugar is corrected, the weight will come off.

But I have to end this here, its time for my job.

Thank you very much.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:06 am
You did mention that your down fall is coca-cola...
Have you tried switching the reg coke for diet? I know it sounds very cliché, but just by switching you'd probably lose another 15 lbs or so. Of course, it all depends on how much reg pop you actually consume.

I'm not sure I would go through something as radical as surgery either in orther to lose weigh. I do have a friend that has had the by-pass done and she looks and feels great. I have heard otherwise stories though...

Good luck!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:34 am
I should have mentioned that, superjuly. Way back when the earth was much younger, I switched from coke to ice tea, and except for a few occasions (which I indulged) never looked back.
0 Replies

Anonymous1

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:27 pm
YEa...I have thought about that...the Coke is full of sugar. I have tried the diet drink thing..but can't seem to indulge in it. Have even went with water, but I'm one of them, that a Coke is my morning coffee. It has to be one of the major factors in the weight issue.

I have thought more about it today while at work. I do believe that maybe a change of doctors might be needed. Something is off kilter and isn't right where my body is concerned. I do not consume the calories that are needed to maintain this body weight. My husband has seen it, my children have even seen it. I'm one of them women that can take her children to McD's and order the same thing they have. (Happy meal) and I have left overs. But again, I don't eat much McD's for my system can't handle the grease.

With the dieting through the years, I have learned to stop eating when I am full. I don't eat when I'm not hungry...or bored. I'm not a binge eater. I don't purge. I have none of those effects going on. I have begged my doctor that I use now, to run test, find whats going on. And I get a big negative on any test results that they run. Its baffling.

And honestly, I have been waiting on the..."Oh yeah,...here we go, another fat women with a thyriod problem, that eats her weight an all you can eat buffet". And I Thank YOU each one, for not going in that direction. This is a concern of mine and I have heartily dealt with and honestly done everything on my part to loose the weight. And its just left me completely baffled.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 04:15 pm
Anonymous1 wrote:
....Size wise, I'm a 20. Clothing isn't that hard to find, if you like your basic black, or navy blue.....

I'm a bigger size than you are, and I have no problem finding clothes in plenty of interesting colors and styles. Really, it's out there - catalog shopping is the greatest thing since sliced bread (or Coca-Cola with sugar, if you prefer :-D).

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Anonymous1

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:59 pm
Your right Jespah...its out there, just have to take my time and look in other places.

About the clothes, have you ever wondered who they modeled the larger size womans clothing on? I'm 5-08, so I'm not exactly short. And I have 32' inch inseams..and all the jeans I find mostly are for "petite", which I think is a contradiction in terms for clothing..lol. I do get lucky and find, "Tall", every now and then. Thank god, or I'd look like I was wading in high water.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:14 am
Try avoiding ALL animal products.Its not as tough as it sounds.

Its a question of priorities.I'm 160,eat as much as I want and drink four pints of beer every night and I'm 6ft.

A Vegan for six months and you will notice a big difference.No meat,no milk,no choc,no eggs and cut the sat.fat right down,Read up on it.

spendius.
0 Replies