The MSM's 15% gift to Kerry

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
For instance:

http://www.calblog.com/archives/004109.html

Quote:

Remember the steady drumbeat in the mainstream media even about the non-issue of President Bush's National Guard service? Just imagine what the media would have done to Bush if he had the baggage that Kerry had! Dan Rather would have been laughing and snorting with "Genghis Khan" references in every newscast; the media would have endlessly played footage of Bush heaving medals over the White House fence; the interview in which he confessed "yes, yes, I committed … atrocities … contrary to the Geneva Conventions," would have been played ad infinitum. In short, the media would have buried Bush if he had Kerry's record.

In conclusion, Kerry benefited immeasurably from a protective media that largely shielded his 1971 Congressional testimony, VVAW membership, questionable medals, and military discharge, et al. In the presence of a neutral media, Bush would have won by a landslide. Only a media that fawned over Kerry with kid gloves-while attempting to pummel Bush with iron fists-made it close.

Cal cites Evan Thomas and Kenshi:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005571

http://www.livejournal.com/users/kenshi/131758.html

and Thomas, from what I read, has revised his estimate of the MSM gift to the dems to something more like 5% since the election, but I have to wonder if Thomas might simply be flinching at what the enormity of the election results actually indicates, particularly if you use his original 15% figure.

What that would say, would be that the dems basically got 30% of the vote which is their own hard core, plus another 15% provided by the MSM, and that was it.

30 - 33 Percent is a sort of a natural number in the universe like pi, e, or the Avagadro number in chemistry: it's roughly the percentage of total losers in any industrial democracy. That's basically what Hitler used to get in elections, and apparently it's what the dems would get in a fair election.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Magus

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:06 pm
BAD Propagandist...

NO Donut!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
Magus wrote:
BAD Propagandist...

NO Donut!

Just leave one period after "propagandist." :wink:
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
I figure the democrats got 200 million dollars worth of support from MSM. However, Fox and the conservative talking heads on other cable outlets gave 50 million back to the Repubs.

Bottom line, most Americans know that the news is spun, and, amazingly enough for a bunch of rubes, are able to filter. Take the Swiftie thing......the absence of MSM coverage did not go unnoticed, and most people were aware of it, and affected by it. That the issue was not fully investigated, merely shouted down, left many with the impression that something was fishy........purple hearts for scratches, writing one's own after battle reports, commendations signed by superiors who denied doing so, etc. etc.........on and up to the convoluted testimony before congress and trips to Paris, and the failure to sign that form 190. It's not the Kennedy assassination, but it surrounded Kerry with a mystery that he could have avoided, if he had nothing to hide.[/i]
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:22 pm
yes, Mary, thank your lucky stars that your corrupt party's smear campaign "worked"... and that now we continue to have a twit in the Oval Office who rewards the purveyors of "Faulty Intelligence" as he purges those who refused to be complicit in the swindle. ("Halliburton" WILL get what's coming to them!)

As thousands of Americans and Iraquis are killed and maimed FOR NO GOOD REASON you just keep wearing your lapel pins, waving your flags, and PRE-EMPTIVELY smiting your neighbors.

But you'll NEVER convince me that Jesus would have it that way... Jesus would chastize you and yours in no uncertain terms for the un-Christian hypocrisy of it all... yes, ye shall be forgiven your trespasses AS YE HAVE FORGIVEN THOSE WHO TREPASSED AGAINST YE.
Jesus will forgive you with a Bunkerbuster Smartbomb and some "Patriot" missiles!
As ye have done unto your neighbor, so shall it be done unto Ye...
Bless you!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:07 am
Magus wrote:

...Jesus will forgive you with a Bunkerbuster Smartbomb and some "Patriot" missiles!
As ye have done unto your neighbor, so shall it be done unto Ye...
Bless you!

I'm guessing that being part of that final 30% which keeps on voting democratic must feel sort of like being a rat which didn't get off the Titanic in time...
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:08 pm
The self-professed "snake" attempts to label me as a rodent... because he claims to know how I voted.

I venture that he must live in a fantasy world populated by imagined action-figure "heroes" and "Pro" wrestling characters... and, were he a Californian, would cast HIS vote for "Conan the barbarian".
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:11 pm
I don't know what you are talking about (maybe you posted to the wrong thread) but I am glad you got that off your chest Magus.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
Now I know why I always found Moyers confusing........he was delusional!

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041210/ap/d86sgqug0.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
What was the delusional part?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:18 am
MaryM wrote:
Now I know why I always found Moyers confusing........he was delusional!

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041210/ap/d86sgqug0.html

Couldn't have been the deep, complex, and nuanced reporting....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:23 am
Admitting to finding Moyers "confusing" suggests an easy remedy: Just watch Fox. Anyone can understand what they're trying to do...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
gungasnake wrote:

I'm guessing that being part of that final 30% which keeps on voting democratic must feel sort of like being a rat which didn't get off the Titanic in time...

Right.
So when the Republicans get "smoked" in a future election (and they will once again get smoked), following this logic, we should expect the rubes to "jump ship" and come play democrat?

The point of being a liberal or a democrat is that you have a belief set that doesn't cohere with the "other". That a ship has gone down does not mean that we must abandon it.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
Bill M confused me because he was patently liberal with a defined agenda and seemed to think that his "journalistic" facade with its conveyance of impartiality was convincing. One always knew where he was going. It was usually a real yawner getting there.

Duck:

Quote:
What was the delusional part?

You see, most of the media is profoundly liberal, votes that way, and seeks to influence the electorate so that it will follow them. Hardly a new idea, but their transparency has increased (to the point of admitting it), and Bill M's take on the state of things is delusional.............or maybe the studios he works in are so far to the left that indeed, all else is to the right.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
MaryM wrote:
You see, most of the media is profoundly liberal, votes that way, and seeks to influence the electorate so that it will follow them.

And your evidence for this is....

(You'll have to forgive me for asking this. You see, I work for an evidence-based research program. We can't just make statements based on the unspoken idea that "Everyone knows that....." Which, I suspect, is what you're doing here.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:03 pm
What about the sky being blue, or the theory that wild bears go to the bathroom in the woods? How much documentation would you need for those kinds of concepts?
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:42 pm
Thanks for putting it better than I would have gunga.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
From you? Something more than a link to a blog that quotes another blog that claims a friend's mother-in-law saw a bear with toilet paper.

As for MaryM's assertions about the "liberal media," that's been done to death in other threads.

As always, support your assertions with evidence. If you can't then you're whistling in the wind and everybody knows it.

Edit: The "From you?" above is intended to apply to Gunga....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
gungasnake wrote:
What about the sky being blue, or the theory that wild bears go to the bathroom in the woods? How much documentation would you need for those kinds of concepts?

If you wanted to teach kids about science, you'd have to do better than that. But then again, science hasn't been in the ascendancy under the current regime, has it?
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:00 pm
Lets change this.........

IN MY OPINION,

most of the media is profoundly liberal, votes that way, and seeks to influence the electorate so that it will follow them. Hardly a new idea, but their transparency has increased (to the point of admitting it), and Bill M's take on the state of things is delusional.............or maybe the studios he works in are so far to the left that indeed all else is to the right.

so that we can avoid
Quote:
what's been done to death in other threads.

Those of you with another opinion can whistle in your own wind, and I will keep my OPINION about how Bill always did have an agenda and is now showing so, and how those who accept this most recent take of his are delusional as well.

One last question tho........how did Fox become known as a conservative news channel..........relative to what?
0 Replies