Possible mad cow death in Texas

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:12 pm
A lady in my hometown is suspected of having died from bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease:

Quote:

Houston Chronicle

Would the discovery of deaths from mad cow disease less than 100 miles from your city cause you to rethink your views on eating beef, among other things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:18 pm
Yes!

Not saying I'm proud of it or that I'd be right, but fer sure.

Sympathy to Ms. Baize's family.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:20 pm
Re: Possible mad cow death in Texas
PDiddie wrote:
Would the discovery of deaths from mad cow disease less than 100 miles from your city cause you to rethink your views on eating beef, among other things?

Yes!

"It's... more than a meal... it's an excuse!"
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:21 pm
I stopped eating all meat about ten years ago. Living in Texas, I'm prohibited by state law from claiming that eating beef can be hazardous to your health. This law arose from the Oprah Winfrey case. So I can only say that eating any kind of beef is good for you, even if its brain has holes in it.

T
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:27 pm
Hey PD. That's really scary and a terrible thing for the woman's family, and it probably would give me pause for thought before I ate a bowl of chili.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:32 pm
A friend of my college friend died from CJD... quite a remarkable situation, but he had the version that has unknown origin.

I try to eat beef and pork only from Niman Ranch or Humboldt Beef Company, and not much of that - am going more in the Veggie/Fish/occasional chicken direction. Once in a while, say on a cold rainy winter day, I want to pick up a steak from the market on my way home - luckily that market has the grass fed beef.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:36 pm
It's a horrible way to die, but think about it.

You probably have higher chances of getting struck by lightning.

If you're going to obsessively worry about something, make it somethng that has killed more than 10 people. Something like car crashes, or cancer. Those kill thousands every day. Enjoy your beef, life is too short to worry about every potential malady.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:46 pm
yikes, not good. Poor woman.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:52 pm
Well, send all the damn meat to the Sudan instead of destroying it! Not like they're gonna be too fussy about dying in like 40 or 50 years instead of next week!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:10 am
I'm with Portal Star. There's a thousand more pressing worries demanding my time. I would not knowingly eat brain products, however.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:33 am
Er, haven't they cut out putting spinal cords in beef feed here?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
Unfortunately for the beef industry countries that import beef are more fussy about what they eat than we are. Just when Japan was about to start importing U.S. beef again....

In a way I wish that people would eat more beef, as the price if fish is getting outrageous, though tofu is still cheap. Health care is also getting expensive because of all the heart bypasses and other diet-genic diseases, and if you can't afford health care you've got to watch what you eat. If you must eat beef, eat grass-fed beef as Ossobuco suggests, on moral as well as health grounds.

A good book on the tradition of beef-eating is Jeremy Rifkin's "Beyond Beef." It's eye opening though depressing and not recommended for die-hard beef eaters.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:51 pm
Separate from the news of the Texas woman previously reported, our government reassures us that a suspected diseased animal wasn't:

Quote:
No sign of mad cow disease was found in an animal the Agriculture Department had singled out for followup tests, officials said Tuesday. Initial screenings last week had raised the possibility of a new case of the disease in the United States.

A more definitive test at the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, came back negative, the officials said. The announcement was a relief to the U.S. beef industry, which is still trying to recover from the nation's first case of the disease last December.

The department said it ran a "gold standard" test twice. Officials did not say where the cow came from or why it was suspected of being diseased.

"Negative results from both ... tests make us confident that the animal in question is indeed negative," the announcement said.

AP/Yahoo
0 Replies