Another Anniversary

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:55 pm
Today in History

Today in History - Nov. 22

Today is Monday, Nov. 22, the 327th day of 2004. There are 39 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On Nov. 22, 1963, President Kennedy was shot to death while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. Texas Gov. John B. Connally, in the same limousine as Kennedy, was seriously wounded. Suspect Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested.

(hmmm. Wonder if I beat Thok to this?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,270 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:39 pm
The History Channel ran an interesting show on this the other night. Focused on the various conspiracy theories that have floated around. We don't hear as much about this nowadays, but anyone who was around back in the day will remember all the books and lectures on the topic. Can you imagine what it would've been like with cable TV and the internet?

Anyhow, the program pretty much punctured the various alternative theories, including that of Oliver Stone, who resurrected Jim Garrison, the New Orleans DA, as some sort of martyr for truth. Whereas, in reality, Garrison comes across as a fool who succumbed to his own notoriety.

Anyone seeking an interesting alternative theory by a terrific novelist should read "Libra" by Don DeLillo.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:09 pm
Interesting, D'Art. I was just talking to my potential roofing man about this very thing. I think Merry Andrew had a long thread on who really killed JFK.

Yes, indeed. Had all this been available during that time, we'd be having some conspiracy fun, I guess.

Seems to me that I recall something about a notion that Ari Onassis had a brain dead Kennedy on his private island away from the public eye. and that's the reason Jackie O married him. Shocked

Odd, too, was that nimh bought up a conspiracy theory about a recently found complex in Yugoslavia.

I'll try and find that link to the Tito thing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39275&highlight=

I was attempting to involve everyone on A2K in what some people see as a strictly American site. The reference to Eric Rudolph had to do with his hiding in the North Carolina mountains, then suddenly surfacing going through garbage cans. He surrendered peacefully, and I have seen nothing since.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Some sadistic company has a new video game in which one aspires to shoot Kennedy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
My God, edgar. Ain't nothing sacred, is there?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
I was in half-day kindergarten then.
I remember coming back to watch television with Miss Gill, who lived downstairs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:35 pm
Ah, ehBeth. You are such a youngun. <smile>

Did it make any impression on you then?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:51 pm
Miss Gill crying made an enormous impression on me, Letty. I loved her a lot, and didn't want her to be sad. Nothing could make her feel better that day.

Bobby Kennedy's killing was something that I understood more. hamburger and mrs. hamburger were out of town, and I was staying with my aunt and uncle - in the back bedroom with the tiny t.v. I was up very late, later than I should have been, thrilling to having a t.v. I had control of. Watching the scene in the kitchen in California hit me hard.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
You know, ehBeth. Anwar Sadat's assassination got to me. Of course, Bobby and Jack also, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is strange to me that often the worst comes from among the so called supporters.

Ah, Mrs. Gill. My kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Wingate.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
I was eleven years old and I remember that day well. My brother had a paper route and he was given triple the amount of newspapers he usually got for delivery…the headline read "President Kennedy Dead!" We gave a paper away to everyone we knew.

Here's a link to the game edgar was talking about

http://www.elitestv.com/pub/2004/Nov/EEN41a1f95301612.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:34 pm
That game is a pronounced attempt at making money and nothing else.

Someone clue me in here. Did I see where there was an unauthorized book about Jack and Bobby? The intimation was that they were not full brothers.
0 Replies