Third Curtain.... Rain Forest Wild-Clickers, Unite! 3 Clicks

danon5

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:10 pm
Stunning pictures!! Great!! Those old birds were actually very cumbersome to fly. Sort of like trying to turn a freight train to get it pointed in a different direction. I know because I flew a C-130 during the Vietnam era - same stuff. I liked the smaller faster birds that were fully aerobatic. Let me get a photo of the one I flew most in combat.

http://www.directupload.net/images/041224/na6oJ4se.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:44 pm
Danon, awsome photo! You be a good pilot danon me boy!

A photo of my airplane - a Mooney Exe 21. Will search my photos for another pic, then copy/scan to web page.

http://photos.airliners.net/small/4/8/6/362684.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 11:11 pm
Still searching, but the photo looks exactly like the plane only a few years newer.

http://photos.airliners.net/small/1/8/6/109681.jpg
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 06:25 am
Hi, everyone...

Family obligations are keeping me too busy to post much on the Rainforest thread this week, but I did want to drop by to wish you all Happy Holidays and a very Merry Christmas!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 06:29 am
One other thing before I go...

I received this e-mail on the 23rd, and wanted to share it with you in case you hadn't seen one already.

Quote:
Hello everyone...

We are sending you this short note to wish everyone a happy holiday
season!

We wanted to take a moment to thank all of you who have helped Luna by
talking about him, writing letters, signing petitions, making
donations,
etc. Your help has made a difference!!

Luna is still in Nootka Sound. We receive reports every few days. He
is
foraging, resting, playing, and doing other normal activities. He has
not
interfered with boats at all this winter and has settled into a similar
pattern to last year, where he spent most of the time away from the
harbour
at Gold River.

Luna's pod was spotted about 140 km away from Nootka Sound a few weeks
ago.
This was exciting news as that is relatively close to Luna.
Additionally,
Luna was heard calling near the open ocean, meaning his calls could
potentially be heard by his pod if they were near Nootka Sound. The
orcas
would have to be within about 15 km for them to hear each other, so
there
still needs to be a lot of luck for Luna to hear his pod this winter.
It is
a long shot, but we are still hopeful!

You can find out all of the details by visiting www.reuniteluna.com

Once again, we wish you, your family and your friends season's
greetings!

Thanks again everyone!

Gail, Kendra, Kelly, Ryan

--
Visit the Reunite Luna Web Site at http://www.reuniteluna.com
Please tell your friends about Luna's situation
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 09:03 am
Stradee,
I did not know you are a pilot - that's great!! Isn't flying wonderful - gives me a relaxing, free feeling for some unknown reason. Oh yeah, I flew helicopters also. And, after retiring from the Army, I went to school and became an Airframe and Powerplant Tech (A&P) so I could work on my own plane - a Cessna 172 - which I no longer have.

Matrix,
Thanks for the Luna msg - that is very nice of those folks to send that. Bookmarked the link.

Clicked......................................
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 09:03 am
Great photos, Danon and Stradee, and wonderful news about Luna, Matrix. I assume that you will not see this, Matrix, but is there not anything that can be done to get Luna closer to the pod?

I also assume that most here will be away or otherwise engaged for the next couple of days. But once again, I am hoping that everyone has a wonderful, peaceful, full of small miracles, holiday period.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 09:20 am
Flying has got to be a wonderful, freeing, and relaxing experience. I was a skydiver once, and it gave me the same reaction. Unfinished business - I want to experience the sensations of the flight of a glider.

A dear older friend, a glider pilot in WWII, gave me his glider pilot pin - one of my treasures.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Danon, flew the plane but never got my license. The x exited with the aircraft! How rude was that! Laughing

Flying is wonderful! For me, flight gives a sense of freedom. When the currents calm, its as if the aircraft suspended and the earth moving. I don't know either. Just a great experience.

Piloting helicopters a challenge though. Such precision needed with very little room for error. Giving you your props, Dan.

Sumac, you've got courage girl! I'd land a plane on an aircraft carrier before jumping out of one. Way to go!

Matrix, many thanks for the news about Luna! Terrific letter! Lets all send good thoughts the dear Orca will hear the calls from his family group. What better Christmas message from our ocean buddies, huh?

Tried clicking in at Care2 with this account, but they're saying because of heavy e card traffic, they need to booste the system. Will try again in a few hours. I was able to click in with my other account though earlier.
Will keep checking the link.

Good day all ~ Happy Christmas Eve!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
Something I've wanted to do for many years now -- skydive! I think that'll be my next big adventure as soon as I can hook up with someone who knows the 'where, when, how' of it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 02:45 pm
Setanta, the dogs and I are with hamburger and mrs. hamburger. We beat the nasty storm here, and are settling in for our Christmas Eve festivities (I think everyone else is napping after an enormous lunch right now).

Clicking and wishing all of my wild-clicking, kayak-wielding, green chevelle driving friends a wonderful, joyous and appropriately hectic holiday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 02:52 pm
aktbird57 -

You and your 282 friends have supported 1,676,770.2 square feet!
Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 54,846.3 square feet.
You have supported: (33,877.6)
Your 282 friends have supported: (20,968.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 32,229.7 square feet.
You have supported: (9,199.8)
Your 282 friends have supported: (23,030.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,589,694.2 square feet.
You have supported: (158,288.2)
Your 282 friends have supported: (1,431,406.0)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 02:53 pm
1 Aktbird57 .. 957 38.212 acres

2 936 35.993 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 04:25 pm
Hi ehBeth! Glad you guys arrived safely.

For Cleo and Bailey ~ Merry Christmas from the "Herd" ~

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=SC15123833
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 05:28 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Stradee. I love her work, and this is the third Chudleigh Christmas card I have seen this season. Just absolutely wonderful.

M.A.
I made my 13 jumps in Lakewood, NJ, where there was thorough, professional training before the first jump. Quit to go skiing as it was now winter, and never returned to it. But, I would never, ever, exchange those experiences for any others. Go for it. There has to be a national association which lists accredited, good, locations.

ehBeth,
Glad you and the boss made it OK. Indiana and Ohio suffered.

s
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 08:00 pm
Your welcome sumac! Smile

At Jacquie Lawson's website, there are more cards to choose from and for all holidays and seasons. There's a year subscription of $8.00 <the United States> but some of the cards are viewable without registration.

The card that began the collection is quite adorable

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?pv=XS00EN
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm
Happy Christmas Eve/Christmas Day (depending on where you are Smile )!

Heard this on the news tonight and thought you might like to hear about it too...
Quote:
Newborn Orcas Spotted In Puget Sound

December 24, 2004
By KOMO TV Staff & News Services

http://www.komotv.com/stories/34541.htm

BREMERTON - Two families of Puget Sound killer whales have welcomed newborns.

Mark Sears, a Seattle-based orca researcher, said he saw each calf Wednesday in Colvos Passage, between Vashon Island southwest of Seattle and the shores of southern Kitsap County.

"They are pretty glued to their mothers right now," Sears told The Sun newspaper in nearby Bremerton.

Sears said the calf that joined the K pod was born late Tuesday or early Wednesday, while the calf swimming with the J pod was born outside Puget Sound sometime in the past three weeks.

"Both of the calves are getting a lot of attention, surrounded by juveniles and other females," Sears said.

One mother is J-14, a 30-year-old female known as Samish, who is granddaughter and great-niece of two of the oldest members of the Puget Sound pods. This is her third calf.

The other mother is K-20, an 18-year-old female known as Spock, who was believed for many years to be a male because of her large dorsal fin. This is her first calf.

The newborns have not yet been confirmed by the Friday Harbor-based Center for Whale Research, which maintains the identifications for the Puget Sound whales.

Because of the large number of chum salmon in central and southern Puget Sound, the whales are not locked into their typical traveling or feeding patterns right now, Sears said.

Two other baby orcas were born to L pod in October. That group has not been seen lately and may be gone from Puget Sound for winter travels up and down the coast.

Counting all four newborns and the presumed death of a 55-year-old K-pod orca that was not seen this year, the population of the Puget Sound's three orca families now stands at 87.

That total does not include Luna, L-98, who is living alone in Nootka Sound in Canada, or Lolita, who is living in a Miami aquarium.

Last week, the National Marine Fisheries Service proposed that the three pods be listed as "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act because the population dropped by 20 percent between 1995 and 2001.

sumac said:
Quote:
I assume that you will not see this, Matrix, but is there not anything that can be done to get Luna closer to the pod?

Hi, sumac...
There have been attempts in the past to move Luna closer to where his pod is or will be, but they have been blocked by the First Nations People in Canada who believe that Luna is a recently deceased tribal chief. Negotiations are still ongoing between them and the wildlife experts and hopefully before it's too late, a comprimise will be reached and Luna will be reunited with his pod. A lot of information on Luna can be found at this link - check it out if you haven't already:
http://www.reuniteluna.com/

Have enjoyed the plane and skydiving stories from everybody...

And, Beth...
Glad you and the doggies and Setanta have made it safely to the Hamburger's - have been worried about you.

Be safe, everyone...
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:54 pm
Stradee,
I well remember the first of Jacquie's Chudleigh Christmas cards, and certainly enjoyed seeing it again. What a treat!

Matrix,
And Stradee too. Christmas morn here on the east coast. Have been listening to great classical and traditional Christmas music on the classicalmusicstation.org out of Chapel Hill area. No TV, thank you very much. About ready to turn in. They are doing a narrated version of the Nutcracker at the moment.

I wished in a good Christmas to Ul some 8 hours ago for her familial traditional festivities in Vienna. I know that she has been far too busy to drop by recently, but we stay in regular contact on a daily basis.

ebBeth,
Please give good hugs and kisses to the Hamburgers and Setanta, and to all of the pooches.

s
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:06 am
Allow me to be the first to wish all Wildclickers a very happy Holiday this Christmas morning. (The advantage of living on the East Coast is that the rest of you are mostly still asleep.)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:17 am
Yawn -
Sipping coffee - Mmmmm

Thanks MA, you're up an aboot early this morn.

Merry (no pun intended) Christmas to you too!!

Merry Christmas Wildclickers!!!!!

clicked
0 Replies