"a fall" in Latin

rufio

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:35 pm
For some reason, I can't find this anywhere, the translator sites just give the verb. Also, there's not a future section in my books that explains how to form an abstract noun from a verb. The reason is that I kinda sorta procrastinated and translated Humpty Dumpty into Latin, and it has almost correct grammar, and almost matches the meter and rhyme of the English, and almost means the same thing, and it's very cute, but it only works if the accusative of this word is two syllables long.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rufio

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:22 pm
Ahh, thanks for nothing you guys, I just asked my Latin prof. Razz

Humptius Dumpty in muro sedebat
Humptius Dumpty magnum casum habebat.
Omnes regis equi omnesque virorum
Invenire non poterant omnes fragmentorum.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:41 pm
Sorry, rufio, just saw this.
The prof did a better job than I would have done.
(Guess that's why he's the prof.)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:19 pm
Turns out it's casus, casus (4th dec) if all you other Latin nerds wanted to know. Smile
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:37 pm
Heh, the really funny bit is that the grammar for forming that was at the end of the chapter for tommorrow. Guess I didn't look hard enough.... *headdesk*
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:38 am
Now that you've got me looking at it...
your version substitutes "find all of the pieces" rather than "put together again". Poetic license, I assume. But I think the correct Latin usage would be "omnia fragmenta" rather than "omnes fagmentorum".

Just my two sesterces.
Vale.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:01 am
Yeah... that was a bit of poetic liscense. It turns out that nothing rhymes with "Humptium iterum restire non poterant" no matter how you rearrange the words.

Anyway, fragmentum is still a second declension noun, so it still has -orum in the genitive plural unless it's some sort of wierd irregularity. I tried to use the partitive genitive ("all of the peices", instead of "all peices") so that the meter would work. Same with omnes virorum in the line above. I guess it might be omnia though... except, it's not really modifying fragmentum anymore, so maybe not. In any case, it still messes up the bouncy nursery rhyme rhythm, which was the point of the excersize. Smile There's something really funny about nursery rhymes in Latin for some reason.
0 Replies