Late-Stage Breast Cancers Associated w/Absence of Screening

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:05 pm
In the recent past there have been tremendous improvements in finding, treating and curing breast cancer. Now a study by the National Cancer institute indicates that regular mammograms allow doctors to treat early stage breast cancer more effectively, rather than waiting until the disease became more entrenched in the body.

The study also indicated that more precise tests needed to be developed. A number of women who presented with late stage breast cancer had negative mammograms 1-3 years before presenting with widely disseminated disease.

Quote:
Study results indicated that not having had a screening mammogram for one to three years prior to diagnosis was associated with 52 percent of late-stage breast cancer cases. The authors state that to improve breast cancer outcomes, priority should be placed on reaching unscreened women and encouraging them to have mammograms - especially older, unmarried, less educated, and/or low income women, whom they found were less likely to have been screened.

Quote:
A key finding was that women who had not been screened one to three years prior to diagnosis were more than twice as likely to have late-stage breast cancer. This finding illustrates an important reason for receiving regular mammograms: to increase the chance of catching breast cancer early. However, a second finding showed that better screening tests need to be developed. Almost 40 percent of women with late-stage breast cancer had a negative mammogram one to three years before their diagnosis.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/LateStageBreast

Ladies- Do YOU go for regular mammograms? If no, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:51 pm
I'm a breast cancer survivor--and one reason for the survival was that my tumor which was invisible in May of 1999 was found in May of 2000, growing rapidly.

One of the causes of cancer may well be that human beings are on top of the food chain and all of the insecticides, pesticides, herbicides and industrial pollutants wind up in our fatty flesh. Recent studies show that air and water pollution may be implicated in breast cancer.

No woman can clean up her environment by herself, but she can certainly improve her chances for a long, high-quality life with regular mammograms.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:55 pm
I don't get mammograms because I am not old enough for the process of screening to have begun. And, I am not looking forward to it's onset.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:27 pm
littlek - From what I understand, it is recommended that a woman get an annual mammogram from age 40 on. If there is a history of breast cancer in the family, it is believed that the mammograms should begin at 30.

I don't know what you have heard, but screening mammograms are no big deal. Yeah, you do get squeezed a bit, but the pressure lasts only for a second or so. I have had mammograms in many places. In my experience, the techs have been very empathic, and I have never had a problem with the procedure.

Here is a good article which describes a mammogram, with a picture of what the machine looks like.

Link to mammography article

After you get the mammogram, if there is any doubt, the doctor will order a diagnostic mammogram, which is simply more pictures. Sometimes, the doctor will order an ultrasound, to double check a doubtful finding.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:33 pm
Noddy24- Smart lady. I am so glad that you kept up with your mammograms! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
Phoenix--

A few seconds of being squashed in a machine is nothing to the 6 month duration of chemo.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:53 am
It really troubles me, that some women are squeamish about having a mammogram. Noddy, you put the issue right on the line. What is a few moments of minor discomfort, if it can find early cancer, and allow doctors to start treatment for a disease has a high probability of cure if caught early?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:28 pm
Phoenix--

Also disturbing is that the technicians who run the machines--usually woman--get a lot of hostility. They aren't sadists--they are doing their job of preventing death from cancer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:12 pm
I'm a breast cancer survivor too. I had been having mammograms yearly, and when I went for my mammo on 9/10/01, there were two teeeny little calcifications, and the radiologist took me into another room and checked the area with ultrasound, and then said that it was probably nothing but I should get a needle biopsy to be sure. I went for one the next day, which of course was 911. It turned out to be invasive ductal ca, stage one, and a hell of a week in my life.

I had surgery the next week, fine since, and I am one glad woman that I had that mammogram.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:29 pm
Listening, thinking.
Maybe I will.
Maybe.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:51 pm
ehBeth--

Tickets available on the Little Engine That Could.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:53 pm
Noddy, I am notoriously squeamish about odd things. I can't eat cottage cheese in a well-lit room. Confused

I'm working up to this particular challenge.

Seeing you and OssoB post here helps focus me on the right thing to do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
ehBeth--

You can climb mountains--that's on your resume.
0 Replies