Party Identification Shifts Toward Reps, But Dems Still Lead

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:33 pm
Republicans narrowed the gap in party allegiance in the 2004 campaign, but are still outnumbered by Democrats, the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey shows. Polling of 67,777 registered voters from October 7, 2003, through November 16, 2004, showed that 31.8 percent called themselves Republicans and 34.6 percent said they were Democrats, a Democratic edge of 2.8 percentage points.

Full text from the National Annenberg Election Survey (PDF-file!) HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 488 • Replies: 4
No top replies

kflux

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:57 pm
most polls have a 3% margin of error , the election its self reflect a much larger # of people that 67,777 . the exit polling at this years election is a prime example of how inconclusive polls can be.
0 Replies

MaryM

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:10 pm
That leaves a whole heck of a lot of independents and others doesn't it? At a time when 3rd party candidates are not doing well at all.........compared to Perot, Wallace........and some others.

So few states have open primaries that it seems a real waste to register independent and not have a voice in that process. I think this study is suspect.
0 Replies

Square

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:47 am
I guess the other question is how many of those people are "likely voters"? If they don't vote...I guess I don't really care what they want to identify themselves as.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:47 am
I think many independents lean Republican but refuse to identify themselves as such because they are, well, independent. Actually, those numbers seem about right -- leaving about 35% undeclared or other party.
0 Replies