Simple wrinkle treatment???

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:27 am
BBC reports: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4024919.stm

Doctors' therapy 'slows ageing'

Two doctors believe they have the cure for wrinkles - infra-red light therapy.

Eye surgeon Jim Haslam and GP Dr Gordon Dougal based the treatment on a cold sore therapy they developed in 2001.

During tests on skin around the eyes, 95% of the 40 volunteers said the hand-held machine, called Restorelite, made a difference.

The therapy, which the doctors said can take up to 10 years off a person's age, works by stimulating elastin - the part of the skin that gives it tightness.

As well as testing the treatment on the volunteers, the doctors spent £30,000 researching Restorelite at Sunderland University.

Doctors behind the therapy say it can take 10 years off a person's age

Dr Haslam, from Darlington Memorial Hospital, said: "Like so many medical discoveries the beneficial effect of this was a chance finding.

"The results have been amazing. Not one of our volunteers was willing to give the treatment back.

"Our experiments have focused on the skin of the eyelids and the immediate vicinity of the eyes, but there is no reason why skin in other areas should not be treated and improved."

But Dr Haslam warned that people who thought the machine, which costs £110, could completely get rid of their crow's feet had to be realistic.

'Easy to use'

"The technology is so new that we do not know whether or not the effects are cumulative when treatment is continued beyond two months - common sense dictates that at some point treatment must be finite."

Dr Dougal, who works in Peterlee, east Durham, said: "One of the attractions is that it is really easy to use.

"People can just sit their watching television and put the device against their skin for 15 to 30 minutes a day - depending on how many wrinkles they have.

"I have been using it for quite a few years now after bags started developing under my eyes.

"I am 48 now and the bags have not come on yet."

Elly Brenchley, spokesperson for the British Skin Foundation (BSF), said: "This is an interesting development, as increasing the levels of collagen in the skin could improve wrinkle appearance. "

But she said more research was needed: "The BSF looks forward to the results of properly controlled clinical trials with interest."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:32 am
I want one, where can I order?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:43 am
If I am not too old to care, I would be interested in buying the gizmo..................................in about 20 years. I would love to know if there are any adverse long term effects from concentrated infra-red!
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:58 pm
95 percent of clients reporting "a difference" is different than a double blind study measuring any actual difference.

Wouldn't a cheaper and more viable treatment be to use vitamin E cream, quit smoking ( if you do) and eat properly?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:41 pm
vitamin E cream doesn't prevent wrinkles, and neither does any moisturizer or cream on the market.

Quitting smoking, getting enough sleep, and most importantly, wearing good sunscreen every day will prevent wrinkles.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:52 am
vitamin E cream reduces their appearance, so is valid as a wrinkle treatment.

Otherwise, I agree with you. SPF 30 sunscreen is about the best thing you can do for your skin.
0 Replies