URGENT PLEASE HELP!

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:26 pm
im an EMT for the town ambulance corps...today we brought a patient who had a febrile seizure, then the nurse said it was possible that she had viral meningitis, i had gloves on and i washed throughouly afterwards...can someone tell me about this and explain the chances of me getting it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 9
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:33 pm
Shouldn't you be aware of such things?
0 Replies

EMSFD125

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:35 pm
we dont go into specifics of illnesses, thats for the doctors and paramedics
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:35 pm
Ohh I C, have you checked out info online?
0 Replies

EMSFD125

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:37 pm
yes but im looking for information from someone else who is a healthcare providor and has experienced an incident like this as well
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:53 pm
Viral Meningitis

Viral meningitis [VI-rul men-in-GI-tis] is a relatively common but rarely serious infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain.
Viral meningitis is caused by any of a number of different viruses, many of which are associated with other diseases. Mosquito-borne viruses can also cause viral meningitis.
There is no specific treatment for viral meningitis. The illness is usually mild and clears up in about a week.
Prevention centers on washing hands thoroughly and often and avoiding mosquito bites.

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/vmenin.html

The site goes on to explain that bacterial meningitis is the killer.

I'm not a health professional, but I've had 50 years of hands-on family health care.

Get plenty of rest this weekend. Give your own immune system all the help you can in fighting the virus off before it gets started.

Believe me, if the danger were deadly, you'd be quarantined.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:57 am
BM Noddy. Unless you have serious chronic disease or are very old, viral meningitis can hardly cause any harm to you.

For example, in Croatia we had (I'm Health journalist) two school outbreaks of viral meningitis - both in elementary schools (three schools included in total) and not a single child died or had complications.

Bacterial meningitis is another thing, but in such cases preventive measures are taken immidiately - if there is suspicion about any patient or person you were in contact with having bacterial meningitis you would already start your preventive antibiotic course.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:43 am
Strange. I always thought that viral meningitis was the deadly form because it couldn't be treated with antibiotics. I still remember a child in my daughter's classroom who died with it. Perhaps things have changed, but it was my understanding that only sulfa drugs were an effective treatment.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:02 am
I think you mixed them probably. Viral cannot be treated but usually resolves in 7-10 days only with rest and fluids and stuff...something like flu let's say.

Bacterial can be treated and today is not harmfull like it used to be, but still is very dangerous disease because it goes pretty quick and some people simply don't react to antibiotics.

Viral diseases seem to many people more dangerous because there's no medicine for them, but fact is that most of them organism defeat without other help, while bacterial diseases mostly do have adequate antibiotics but if you don't react good you are doomed Smile
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:06 am
Also, although you can never tell for sure, chances are that it was maybe case of some kind of misunderstanding so parents got wrong information.
If it was viral meningitis in school many kids would get it cause it's highly contagious (but huge majority, probably even all would have no problems with getting well), while bacterial meningitis can be spread but not that easy and it's quite possible that only one pupil gets it and everybody else stays well.

Also, in addition to stories about few viral meningitis outbreaks in Croatian schools, in our town we had case when teacher got bacterial meningitis - all students immidiately started antibiotic course as preventive measure, and I'm pretty sure they would do the same in USA as well.
0 Replies