how to deal with gay family member being over the top

km55

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 06:47 pm
I have a niece and nephew that "came out" over the last few years. No problems and most of the family doesn't care. The only problem I have, mostly with my niece, is when we are out in public. When she and her girlfriend are out with my wife and I and she thinks some random person is looking at them judgmentally she will turn up the public display of affection to annoying levels. Like she is trying to get a rise out of someone. It's the fact that its way over the top that its to the point of embarrassing, even if our straight friends did that it would be too much to handle.

Anyway, I want to say something but it's almost like that's what she wants so she can start ****. How do I handle it without starting ww3 with her?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 889 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 07:44 pm
@km55,
Do you have to go out with your niece and her partner?
daverod

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 09:18 pm
@km55,
ask her why she does that...
Krumple

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 12:21 am
@km55,
km55 wrote:

I have a niece and nephew that "came out" over the last few years. No problems and most of the family doesn't care. The only problem I have, mostly with my niece, is when we are out in public. When she and her girlfriend are out with my wife and I and she thinks some random person is looking at them judgmentally she will turn up the public display of affection to annoying levels. Like she is trying to get a rise out of someone. It's the fact that its way over the top that its to the point of embarrassing, even if our straight friends did that it would be too much to handle.

Anyway, I want to say something but it's almost like that's what she wants so she can start ****. How do I handle it without starting ww3 with her?

Ask her if she ever wonders if the message she is sending is ever making things worse instead of better.

If someone is giving her bad looks does pushing that help improve the situation or does it just reaffirm to the person their original judgement?
0 Replies

km55

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 07:10 am
@ehBeth,
Don't have to but we don't get to see them as often these days.
daverod

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 05:44 pm
@daverod,
And then ask them if they know how 'you' feel when they do it around you...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 06:11 pm
@km55,
Are they the same privately as they are in public?
0 Replies