Cuba: Trump's policy rethink

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 05:32 am
Better hurry, if you want to go to Cuba again, CI. Smile

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/cuban-americans-warily-await-trumps-policy-rethink-170615030014059.html

President Trump will visit Miami as early as Friday and may announce a rollback of Obama's detente with the island.

snood

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 09:08 am
John McCain makes a striking admission: America was better off with President Obama

In other news, sea water is salty.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 12:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
The Cuban Missile Crises was not the proverbial Sunday school picnic, it might be premature to end the object lesson that putting nuclear missiles 90 miles off the U.S. coast is not just so much political jousting. And, if anyone is unaware, La Revolucion still is alive and well en Cuba. There are Cubans in Miami that still have the deed to their confiscated property/land. Communism since the Korean War has killed more than just a few Americans. Let their lives not be lost in vain, just because our prior President was born in the nice world of Hawaii (read: sarcastic non-sequitur) and has an orientation that is different from those families that had sons and daughters sacrificed fighting Communism. In the world of children's games it is called, No Do Overs.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 12:58 pm
He's just trying to suck up to reactionary Cubans in Florida, because it apparently has begun to dawn on his handlers that only appealing to the electorate who voted for him last time will probably not be enough, especially if the Democrats can field a strong candidate. The problem with that is that conservative Cubans in Florida already constitute part of his "base." Bannon and company are working without a net.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:01 pm
@Foofie,
Don't give me that crap.
We lost thousands of troops to Vietnam, yet we got over it politically. We lost thousands of troops to Japan. We got over it politically.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:03 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah, I agree. I never really expected this move, but I can see why he did it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Don't give me that crap.
We lost thousands of troops to Vietnam, yet we got over it politically. We lost thousands of troops to Japan. We got over it politically.

Japan was not Communist. Communists have a bad habit of killing those who don't fit in when they take over. Japan has shown real contrition, by their attempt to act like Americans, even though sometimes their efforts are a little humorous like Bizarro from Superman comics, in my opinion. But, if it's crap that you think I am giving you, then who am I to say it is not crap. You are calling my tasty hors douevres, shiess canapes?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:17 pm
@Foofie,
Why don't you just piss off?
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:26 pm
Ignore Foofie/Miller, it's just trying to jerk people's chains.

I just heard President Plump on the radio. It's political grandstanding. Apparently, commercial flights to Cuba will not be restricted. He supposedly will restrict the flow of dollars to Cuba. He's always promising to do things which are not in his power, but only in the power of Congress. All those boys and girls are interested in are their own re-election. They aren't interested in Plump's prospects.
Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Because you are not the keeper of truth and knowledge.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Because your opinions are no better than anyone else's opinions. Are you attempting to disenfranchise me from my right to offer an opinion, or is this forum reserved for only those that do not offer conflicting opinions to the old line A2K demographic?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 01:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ignore Foofie/Miller, it's just trying to jerk people's chains.

Said like a true Bronxite protecting one's turf, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 02:49 pm
China's the largest communist country in the world. We have a huge trade relationship with China, which is now trying to create a situation in which it can drive of out of the South China Sea. Apparently, President Plump doesn't have a problem with that.

This Cuba bullshit is about catering to an insignificant group of voters who are obsessive hold-overs from the cold war. But is't really nice to see that Plump is still wasting all of his time appealing to the minority]/i] of voters who voted for him.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 03:15 pm
Cuba libre? I remember it as coca cola and rum, but also a rally call. My own sympathy was, where? for the people in Cuba, but I didn't know what they all thought.

A neighbor family in NYC went to Havana for a vacation (I told you I'm old, but then I was eight, and it was Battista time) and they had a fine time. And then, over years, since I could read, I read about changes.

Here's a book, a normal police procedural, to check out -

Havana Red, by Leonardo Padura.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Padura_Fuentes
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:07 am
I don't give a **** about the politics. The Cuban people deserve better and asshole is moving back the clock, making it harder for the population in general.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:13 pm
It's easier as of now to travel to North Korea than Cuba. Figure that one out for me.
0 Replies