The battle against sexual health information

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:18 pm
An increasing trend in schools (especially in my home state of Texas) is to teach an abstinence-only sex education program.

In addition to this, many schools in texas will be teaching the failure rates of various forms of birth control (and not anything about the birth control.)

I personally am outraged that this clear infringement of the separation of church and state is spreading across our schools (like the famed anti-evolution movements.) Studies show that abstinence-only teaching results in more teen pregnancies and more STD's. "Knowledge is power."

I thnk the movie recently released, "Kinsey," is a response to the recent increase in christian-based anti-sex ed movements across the US.

Discuss.
Has anyone seen the movie? Did they like it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,375 • Replies: 16
No top replies

kuj

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:59 pm
I am sorry if i may be digressing a little bit,but i feel that sex education has a vital role to play in our evolution and especially so its existing modes and channels in all countries.
I do not know much about the subject in the United States,but i do know that in my country ,India,(which incidently is one of the most populous countries) this subject is still TABOO and out of reach for the average Indian
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
kuj wrote:
I am sorry if i may be digressing a little bit,but i feel that sex education has a vital role to play in our evolution and especially so its existing modes and channels in all countries.
I do not know much about the subject in the United States,but i do know that in my country ,India,(which incidently is one of the most populous countries) this subject is still TABOO and out of reach for the average Indian

Indeed. I heard of a case there where teachers showed a group of people how to prevent pregnancy and demonstrated putting a condom on a banana. Months later, they were pregnant and didn't know why, they had put the condoms on the bananas before having sex.

This may be heresay, but if you're going to be factual you have to ignore convention or societal restraints and be open and honest. I think we can make the world a better place by chosing to have babies when we're able to provide for them and give them good lives. It's not like we're madly racing to populate the world anymore. Quality vs. quantity.

Of course, this goes against the doctrine of many religions whose leaders know: more babies = more followers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:20 pm
I am looking forward to seeing it.

Any sort of counter to this invasive fundamentalism has to be good.

Not that I have a problem with people being told that abstention and faithfuness is protective - but for proper information etc to be withheld - dear goddess!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
I voted: An in-depth coverage of everything, from std's to how to put on a condom to sex advice.

Teaching abstinence is absurd, as teenagers will explore
the sexual possibilities and the more educated they
are the more precautions they take.

I am a firm believer in sex education. My daughter
is 9 years old and knows everything about sex, protection,
STD's, procreation and birth. That doesn't mean, she'll
be prematurly having sex - it means she will make educated decisions and knows how handle them.

If it is not taught in School, it has to be done at home.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
It's been so long since I was in school attending any sex education classes and even been several years that either of my kids were in school learning of it. I do remember having to sign a permission note for each of them to attend the classes and I gladly did! I agree with you about knowledge being powerful. Luckily, I was very open with both of my kids on all subjects in life and we never once had a problem talking about sex, or drugs or alcohol or whatever. I gave them facts and we talked about consequences of our actions I never lectured nor told them what they could or could not do, but let each of them decide on their own (with guidance if they asked for it) what they wanted to do. They were armed with knowledge more than most kids their ages and they made smart decisions in my opinion....

I myself digressed too...ooops! But IF a school is put in charge of teaching our children sex education, they sure as heck better come equipped with all the knowledge they can provide for them or they are NOT doing their jobs. Pure abstinence you try to teach young people who are raging with hormones? Get real, educators. That theory of teaching is so archaic and so the reason 12 year olds get pregnant and STD's run rampant. And that's not even getting into the risk of AIDS.

What are these backwoods ass-holier-than thou people thinking??
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:27 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I voted: An in-depth coverage of everything, from std's to how to put on a condom to sex advice.

Teaching abstinence is absurd, as teenagers will explore
the sexual possibilities and the more educated they
are the more precautions they take.

I am a firm believer in sex education. My daughter
is 9 years old and knows everything about sex, protectin,
STD's, procreation and birth. That doesn't mean, she'll
be prematurly having sex - it means she will make educated decisions and knows how handle them.

If it is not taught in School, it has to be done at home.

I am with you 100% CJ!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 01:09 am
I'm against sex in schools. :wink:

(I think, I'm totally biased, some will say, since I taught "sexual pedagogics", got a university degree in this subject and lectured such at university myself.)
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:17 am
Yeah, keeping it in the dorms is probably more comfortable anyway. :wink:

You, biased? Dr. of Sex Everything That Sounds So Impressive When You Say Pedagogics? Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:24 am
I believe that comprehensive sex ed needs to be taught in the schools, with discussions about preventing conception, stds etc. And I also think that abstinence should be included as an option.

Many teenagers are being pressured by their peers to have sex. I think that although they DO need the information to prevent pregnancy and stds, they also need the permission from grownups NOT to have sex.

I think that "abstinence only" sex information is folly.

I think that sexual information without the mention of abstinence, is depriving young people of learning about an important choice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:03 am
Lady J

Pedogogy is just the study that deals with principles and methods in formal education, as taught here at universities; nothing impressive at.
(Actually, Sexual Pedagogocs' was taught at an an Institute, which was part of the 'Department for Special Pedagogics' [=education]. Which was irritating. :wink: )
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:26 am
I haven't seen the film -- I'll look for it.

What age group are we talking about and what kind of sex advice do you mean? When you say in depth, am I correct in presuming you mean S&M and other fetishes? What about gay/lesbian sex?

What are the necessary facts with no moral leanings? Is that the same as competent sex ed? Is the risk of STD's and how to prevent them, included in the competent category?

Sorry to be a pain. I think I'm balking at the "sex advice" for kids, but perhaps I'm imaging something different than what you intended with your poll questions.

The idea of an "abstinence only" approach to sex ed makes me angry, as well. It also makes me afraid.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 04:01 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lady J

Pedogogy is just the study that deals with principles and methods in formal education, as taught here at universities; nothing impressive at.
(Actually, Sexual Pedagogocs' was taught at an an Institute, which was part of the 'Department for Special Pedagogics' [=education]. Which was irritating. :wink: )

I knew that as I have read something that you posted about it once before. Just kind of makes you sound like a guru of sorts. Must be a throw back from the late 60's in San Francisco or something. And I mean the guru part in the MOST respectful of ways! Smile I love learning new words and this is one you taught me. Thanks, teach! Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 04:05 pm
Less a guru than I'd been known all over the place for my rather hyper-modern ideas in a conservative-catholic county - in the later 80's/early 90's that was. Laughing
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lady J

Yeah, giving yourself unnecessarily wordy titles 1. distracts from what it is you actually do and 2. makes you look pompous and unreachable to those trying to be educated.

I intentionally try not to use words like "pedagogics" or "utilize." I use difficult words when they help me express greater depth of meaning. When people use long words instead of short ones that mean the exact same thing they are annoying and pompous. In fact, I think it makes them less credible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:06 am
Portal Star wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lady J

Yeah, giving yourself unnecessarily wordy titles 1. distracts from what it is you actually do and 2. makes you look pompous and unreachable to those trying to be educated.

Hehe - I didn't give this title myself, but got it from the university after studying there and writing a thesis.
It isn't (wasn't) unnessary at all:
- I needed it for my practical work,
- I needed it for being able to lecture that at university myself.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:09 am
Portal Star wrote:
I intentionally try not to use words like "pedagogics" or "utilize." I use difficult words when they help me express greater depth of meaning. When people use long words instead of short ones that mean the exact same thing they are annoying and pompous. In fact, I think it makes them less credible.

Paedagic Faculties are all those here in Germany, where you study paedagogics, like teachers do, for example.
(Before tranferring them to universities, elematry teachers were taught at 'Paedogogic Universities' - we still have about 20 of such in some states.)
Teachers for (any) Special Education are with full title "Paedogocis for Special Education'.
You get BAs, MAs and PhDs in paedagogics (and the "second PhD" [= postdoctoral lecture qualification] for professors).

Editionally I want to add that from 2006 all teachers get academic titles as 'paedogocics" (before, it was called "state examination").
0 Replies