Dead People ≥ Living People

el pohl

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:50 am
This is a strange question and probably one without an exact answer... yet, here goes.

At what time in the history of the world do you think that, up to that date, there were more dead people (buried, cremated, forgotten) than living currently.

I thought about it because - I suppose - at the beginning of the evolution, the civilization growth rate was huge, and I think that continued through some time. Whats the worldwide population right now? Quite a few billion, isn't it? Do you think that there have been quite a few billion deaths untill now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,332 • Replies: 11
No top replies

katealaurel

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
I'm not sure I'd agree with you that the civilization growth rate was huge at the early points of civilization, actually.. In my Human Geography class, we talked about population growth (for a long time, too..). Usually, the population growth rate is small when a civilization is either at its smaller levels or its higher- it's when a nation develops that you have the huge, insanely increasing populations, because people still have a lot of children to accomodate the old, high death rates, but health starts improving, meaning that too many children survive. This has been true since very, very early in history. Not to mention the growth rate of the world population as a whole is exponential- we gain far more people now, at a much greater rate, than we ever have before.

That aside, though, I would say that we've likely had more deaths now than are currently alive. You could probably look up somewhere how many people die each day on average, and try to calculate it..

-K
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:06 pm
You totally make sense. I know almost nothing about demographic statistics. I shall look for that, thanks!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
Interesting enough, the exact point of equalibrium was when George Burns died.

Fitting it should be a celebrity, eh?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:09 pm
Scoats--

Remember George Burns played God.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:53 am
Where along the human lineage do you start counting?
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:21 pm
From the point where you can start counting... I guess. But could it be possible?
0 Replies

Aurora Dark

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:36 pm
I'm fairly certain that we have several times more people alive than are dead. (Maybe a year ago, a teacher of mine also told me this)

The birth rate is constantly increasing. The death rate is also, but the birth rate's growth exceeds it.

I can't verify this from a source, but a few friends and I recently had a conversation about this. Two statistics came up, after research two of them had done:
- "Every second, someone dies."
- "Every second, 1.2 people are born."

Hope that helps Wink
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:39 pm
I am just glad I wasn't one of the 0.2 people who were born.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:26 am
el_pohl wrote:
You totally make sense. I know almost nothing about demographic statistics. I shall look for that, thanks!

el_pohl,

Here's a good place to start. Smile

http://www.prb.org/Content/NavigationMenu/PRB/Educators/Human_Population/Population_Growth/Population_Growth.htm
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:18 pm
Woah! Would you look at that curve!!!

Well, than its really impressive. No doubt human kind is a parasite. I hope that the dead people numbers prevail some day, if not... imagine what will we do with all those people!!!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 12:25 pm
I thought you might enjoy looking at that one. Kinda scary, huh?
0 Replies