Prince Charles lets rip at the uneducated

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:30 am
"I'm not so sure I am that much older than you, Dlowan; perhaps we have observed different groups."

Oh - I was not saying you are!

I said "wwe old folk" - I was just meaning that every generation throughout history has made much the same complaints about the younger ones.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:47 am
Oh, that's true. In fact I think I saw a bunch of quotes in that direction fairly recently.

I would only be pleased to know things are going better here than I think they are.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:42 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Mind you. The only kingly thing he's ever done is sleep with some other fellow's wife. You Nth Americans are lucky!! We've gotta call him 'Your Highness' one day!

quote dlowan: Not THIS li'l white rabbit!

agreed - not this cat either
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:45 am
panzade wrote:
The way I look at it; Growing up as he did, he's an OK guy. Just my opinion.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/trusts/index.html

Considering all, panzade, he could have turned out a monster! Some family! Shocked Some upbringing! Shocked
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:25 am
One has to marvel, from this side of the pond, how a people can accept a divine right ruler; even if their power is only ceremonial.
Kids like Chelsea and Amy Carter only get 8 years at the top and then have to rejoin the yeomanry...sort of.
An awful thing for Charlie to say, but I'm just pointing out his good works sort of mitigate his class snobbishness.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
I accept he does his best, panzade.

Truce? Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:31 am
He's a twit - but a well-meaning twit, I would say.

And I DO feel sorry for him.

Mind you - it WOULD be nice to have one's toothpaste squoze for one.

I think the poor fella isn't quite right, though - he wanted to be a tampon.

Mind you - I would not like to be taped in the excesses of the language of lust and love and exposed ruthlessly.

That was a DISGUSTING act by a disgusting press.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:38 am
it's a bit much when a flunkey has to hold the specimen bottle when he has to give a urine test though!

divine right? does anyone still believe that? I don't think so

as long as they behave they can stay as a tourist attraction - I find the way that US citizens see Mr President's as next to god equally irritating!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:39 am
Was I being argumentative msolga? I'm sorry...it's really nothing that would spur me to fuss about....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:40 am
No, no, no, panzade! Not argumentative, just wanting to get your point across! Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
My dear, isn't that what all humans want? That and to be loved...now stop your bloody winking...wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
Passionately persuasive, is the term I'd use, panzade. Very Happy

Hey, do you know any other famous folk? What can you tell us? :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:49 am
I hope it doesn't sound as if I was name-dropping....it just so happens that I was sent to a rather special school, founded by Lord Mountbatten and Charles was the regent for awhile.
I did get to talk to the late Lord Louis and I was heartbroken when he was assasinated.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:49 am
panzade wrote:
My dear, isn't that what all humans want? That and to be loved...now stop your bloody winking...wink

Yes, it is!

And yes, I will!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:40 am
Vivien wrote:
it's a bit much when a flunkey has to hold the specimen bottle when he has to give a urine test though!

divine right? does anyone still believe that? I don't think so

as long as they behave they can stay as a tourist attraction - I find the way that US citizens see Mr President's as next to god equally irritating!

Very astute. We find it very odd.

And I so don't believe anyone believes in divine right, they are kind of odd filmstars, I think - only uglier, bless them.

I would much prefer to be withpout 'em - but they do little harm, and are good for tourism, one hears.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
dlowan updated me:

Quote:
It came up in a discrimination and unfair dismissal hearing - and, as a court document, was pounced on by the media.

She did not publicise it.

I'll backtrack on the defense, but I'm still in the Organic Gardening lobby.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:30 pm
Vivien wrote:
I find the way that US citizens see Mr President's as next to god equally irritating!

I don't know if this is the result of the culture gap but I don't see it that way. Ever since JFK, presidents have become more human in their portrayal in the press. Americans have become quite jaded on the subject of a president's lofty stature.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:41 pm
Ain't THAT the truth!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:14 pm
Lol! Still, to foreign eyes, there is an oddly royal status accorded them.

Usually by THEIR side, but still...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
Yup, the coverage of American politicians' lives is so much like the coverage of entertainers' lives. Odd, to non-American eyes.

I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find a Canajun who knew the name of the Canajun prime minister's wife, or if he has any children, or pets.

The only thing I know about our prime minister's family, that I'm sure of, is that I once saw some film of the prime minister and his wife at a military funeral - and that I thought she had a nice scarf on. But her name? No. Does she work? I dunno. She's not in politics, so we don't know anything about her.
0 Replies