ENDEARING, FUNNY & THOUGHT-PROVOKING FILMS about TEENS

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:29 am
There are obviously many Ferris fans out there! ... But what is it that made that film special for you?: Was it the "family" aspect, the cheekiness & smartness of Ferris, the locations, the great acting ... or ?
It intrigues me that this film has such wide appeal. Everyone seems to like it, despite the fact that it was made ages ago .. Just what is it about Ferris?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:44 am
Maybe, I have a bad taste, but I liked "American Pie"...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:51 am
Let's not worry about "taste", steissd! It's about what you enjoyed & why ...

I have searched high & low for a good link on Fast times at Ridgemont High (which has been mentioned a few times here (& which I haven't seen), but to no avail ... Very short & general comments. If anyone knows of a good link please pass it on. I'd like to know more. Thanks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:08 am
LarryBS

You mentioned some films I really liked, including The Ice Storm: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=//chronicle/archive/1997/10/17/DD31277.DTL

Also The Last Picture Show[/color

What I like about them was the sensitive way that they dealt with the pressures of growing up .. about not quite being adult, but certainly no longer children. The adults/parents don't come out of either film too well do they? It seemed that the young people in both films were very much on their own. Lonely & lost, often ..

[color=#ff0012]The Summer of 42
was a delight!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:17 am
The Ice Storm

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1997/10/101703.html
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:34 am
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Info Archive

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Info Repository
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:36 am
Tonight I saw (for the 3rd time!) a terrific little Australian film called Looking For Alibrandi. It's about an Italian/Australian girl in her final year of high school & the many challenges she faces at this time. Both funny & moving, this film covers so many issues: cultural & personal identity, family, suicide & death, emerging sexuality, depression ... with a few surprising revelations & twists & turns ..
If you get the chance, see it. Very good!

http://www.webwombat.com/entertainment/dvds/alibrand.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:44 am
Thanks for those Fast times .. links, Larry. I've obviously missed out on a cult movie here!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 08:24 am
how about:

Some Kind of Wonderful

Election
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
Though I'm not sure if it was about teens or pre-teens,"Lord of the Flies" was certainly thought provoking (not the remake). Also on my list is "Rebel Without a Cause", and the previously mentioned "West Side Story", "Breakfast Club", "Stand by Me", and "Welcome to the Doll House".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:08 am
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" is definitely the definitive teen film as far as I'm concerned but "Ferris Bueller" is a hilarious look on playing hookie, mainly because of Mathew Broderick's wonderful performance (one of my Mom's favorites). Jeffrey Jones as the principal is one of the best comedic performances I can think of.

"Grease" certainly is not given credit for portraying the different personalities one dealt with in high school, particularly in its own time frame. I can remember knowing people who are mirrors of those characters.

"Pretty in Pink" I enjoyed more than "The Breakfast Club."

I'm trying to remember if the character in "The 400 Blows" was in his teens.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:52 am
Animal House.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:00 pm
Msolga, I enjoyed the movie, since I found it very funny. I do not laugh often, but the "American Pie" made me laugh.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 02:30 pm
Sixteen Candles hast been said yet....

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088128

gotta agree with Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Fast Times, Ferris Bueller, and Somekind of Wonderful as well.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 02:32 pm
How about the Outsiders and Rumble Fish
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 02:47 pm
If we list "Rumble Fish" and "The Outsiders", we have to include the third filmed S.E. Hinton novel "Tex".
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 04:36 pm
ut..forgot about Tex, thanks fly
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:46 pm
williamhenry3- Funny. Although Animal House is one of my all time favorite movies, I never thought of it as a "teen" film.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:58 pm
Msolga: Other than the ones already mentioned, I can only think of Lucas (1986), the story of a precocious 14-year old who develops a crush on the new girl in town, (I thought Corey Haim was great in it and a young Charlie Sheen was also good as the high school football hero, - it dealt with the teens' individual personalities without painting their characters in black and white - humor and pathos; and To Sir With Love, which you've probably seen. Oh, and in 1955 there was The Blackboard Jungle, with Glenn Ford facing many harrowing experiences in a N.Y.C school, but there was no comedy in that one. Rebel Without A Cause was the biggie in my day.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:16 pm
msolga - I usually relate to the characters in these movies because I felt some connection to them, especially the lost and lonely you spoke of above.

There are a few non-american films in this category that I like, including two of the greatest coming-of-age movies, Fanny and Alexander and Pather Panchali. Also liked The Little Thief, My Life as a Dog, Grave of the Fireflies, and Toto the Hero. And we already mentioned three great ones in "Australian Movies" msolga, The Year My Voice Broke, Walkabout, and Hope and Glory (U.K.). I love these because they show kids who are outcasts, or kids facing adversity, and not always "succeeding" against the odds.
0 Replies