ENDEARING, FUNNY & THOUGHT-PROVOKING FILMS about TEENS

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:29 pm
Your don't have to be a teenager to enjoy movies about them.
After all, everyone has been there! So it's not surprising that there are so many films about young people. Familiar territory, whatever the story.

Do you have any particular favourites that made a big impression on you?
Which film/s & why?

I'll start:
A long-time favourite of mine is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Why? Well, it's quite charming, funny & moving in turns. And it explores some of those perennial questions about youth, families & life in a way that is thoroughly entertaining.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,762 • Replies: 111
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:36 pm
And some unusual responses, for what is generally perceived as a "fun" film. I was quite surprised to find this one, about the class implications of "Ferris", written from a Marxist point of view:

http://members.aol.com/toomuchjoy/ferris.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:37 pm
A Summer Place- A light hearted piece of fluff, but I loved it.

Where the Boys Are- Also lighthearted, but touched on some serious issues.

Splendor in the Grass- Beautifully crafted film about love and madness. Warren Beatty was wonderful to look at in 1961!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
Ebert on "Ferris":

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1986/06/62975.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:42 pm
Phoenix

My memory of the ones you mentioned is a little hazy. Let's see .. A Summer Place. Was that Sandra Dee?
I never Saw Where The Boys Are, but I DO remember the hit single on the radio! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:51 pm
I just LOVED What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1986/06/62975.html

Great story, terrific acting & beautiful visually.
So sad in parts & wickedly funny in others. ( I Loved the Mrs Carver character! She almost stole the show.)
And I was so pleased that Gilbert was able, finally, to escape from the confines of all that heavy family responsibility & all that small town angst at the end! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:51 pm
Msolga- Yup. It WAS Sandra Dee. Here is a link to "Where the Boys Are"

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0054469
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:57 pm
Phoenix

Very interesting link. Thank you.
I had no idea that the film dealt with such serious "feminist" concerns, at that early stage. I must see if I can find it in video.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:06 pm
Msolga- Yes it did have a theme that we might consider as feminist, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the producers did not realize it. It actually was a carryover from the 1950's when women defined themselves in terms of their ability to catch a man!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:09 pm
Phoenix

It still sounds an interesting "period piece", though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:17 pm
Msolga- It is definitely a fun movie- Sun and surf and all that great stuff.

Dolores Hart, One of the stars of this movie, became a nun:

Link to Dolores Hart
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:22 pm
Phoenix

Right, then, I will definitely look out for it! Very Happy
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:32 pm
I remember loving The World of Henry Orient when it came out in 1964. I was the same age (14) as the two girls in the movie, and I thought they were incredibly cool, the way they ran all over New York following the pianist (Peter Sellers) they had a crush on. They embodied all the qualities that my best friend and I liked to think we had. I haven't seen the movie in almost 40 years, so I have no idea how well it holds up, or whether I would now cringe at the idea that I once saw myself in it.

A more recent movie that I thought did a good job of capturing the experience of being a slightly off-kilter teenage girl was Ghost World.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 09:35 pm
Hello, bree! Very Happy

I love Peter Sellers, but for some reason I haven't seen that one. It sounds delightful.
Another one to look for in my video shop!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:17 pm
Three film musicals about teenagers -- one serious and two comedic --immediately come to mind:

1. West Side Story (serious)

2. Bye, Bye Birdie

3. Grease
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 11:37 pm
Oh! I loved Ferris Beuller! But, the movie that most represented my high school daze was Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:02 am
In what's turning out to be a twice-weekly call from A#1 son, this afternoon he felt the need to recite a few lines from 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' while it was on.....

I bought that movie ten years ago and am responsible for raising another generation of fans.....all of Dougy's friends love it, too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:51 am
I still like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, especially the music. And Fast Times at Ridgemont High is still hilarious and sad.

Did anyone see Dazed and Confused? (Link to Dazed and Confused on IMDb) It really struck home with me. Maybe because it's set in the South in the mid-70s which is when I was a teenager.

I confess that I watch The Breakfast Club whenever it's on cable... Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:18 am
I used to like the Breakfast Club before I met TNT and TBS.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:19 am
I loved Ferris, and Dazed and Confused was right on - I was in high school then too. American Graffiti stands out among the films I remember from my childhood as well as The Last Picture Show and Summer of 42. After that, Risky Business, Stand By Me, King of the Hill, and The Man in the Moon (Reese Witherspoon). The last few years my favorites might be The Ice Storm, Welcome to the Dollhouse, and Life As a House. Most of these I liked because they struck a chord with me, I could relate to a character or his experiences, some are just very good films or very funny.
0 Replies